Cat on Convertible Roof

hedgerowglendaMay 31, 2005

Anyone have any suggestions to keep a cat off a convertible soft top?? We've had the car since November, and now all of a sudden, he has decided to get up top, and I would really like to discourage that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Glenda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

If he gets on the roof at a particular time, and you can sit inside waiting,,, cats don't like to be startled and probably won't return for a long while.

I've always had little convertible cars and many cats on the roofs yet I can't recall any damage from one.

I did have a cat take away one of my life's when he jumped up from behind me onto my shoulders after I left the house one day. Sure startled me & always looked around after that before putting her in gear.

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 4:57PM
hedgerowglenda

Mikie, I imagine that would certainly take away one of your lives!!! sure would scare the dickens out of me! Thansk for the tip. I will try and watch and see if he has certain times that he gets up.

Glenda

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 6:19PM
cowboyind

If you can keep the car parked where it's inaccessible to the cat (such as inside the garage with the door closed), I'd suggest getting a vinyl tarp and laying it across the top when it's parked. The behavior of animals is hard to control, and even if you train your cat to stay off of it, there might be other neighborhood cats who may not be so well taught.

The tarp would also protect it from bird droppings and the harmful effects of bright sunlight.

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 7:31PM
cowboyind

Sorry I meant to say, "If you CAN'T keep the car parked...."

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 7:32PM
nine7xbam

Here's one thing(link below) that might work.I think there are other sprays to keep pets off furniture,probably available at most pet stores.Check out the demo video in the link for the product below,it's pretty funny!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ssscat

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 9:08PM
duanejack

Out here where I live lots of people puts lots of water bottles around the area where they do not want the cats to go, I have no clue as to what this is supposed to do, maybe its the way the street lights reflect through the water or maybe if the cat bumps into one and knocks it over it will act like some sort of cat scarecrow or scardycat may be a better name. I have seen people put plastic water bottles right on their cars hoods and tops so give it a try. Silly, isnt it???????????????

Duane in Japan

Bookmark   June 1, 2005 at 10:29AM
hedgerowglenda

Yes Duane, it does sound silly, but if it works, why not???? No streetlights here so it wouldn't work for light reflection, but I may give this a try anyway. I have also had a friend suggest using some set mousetraps on the the top, cover with a piece of cloth so the cat doesn't get hurt. And that might scare the ####### out of him!!!

Glenda

Bookmark   June 1, 2005 at 11:22AM
gin_gin

If you do the mouse trap thing, set the traps & carefully place them upside down. This technique was suggested by my parents' vet to keep the dogs of the couch & it works. I've also used it for cats. Warning: you will probably startle yourself several times trying to put them upside down. Keep your fingers out of the way! :o)

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 9:38PM
coiltechrt_msn_com

My Cat sleeps on ours no matter where we keep the car. I am now buying a $2000 top because thier claws cause pinhole leaks. Especially where he jumps onto it.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 12:49PM
junne

same is case with mine also sits on roof of car and makes scratches all over.i have coated roof with a plastic lamination..

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 5:19AM
More Discussions
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
1998 Dodge Caravan - Electrical Problems !?
Hi Folks, seems rather quite here, but I've got nothing...
vgkg
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™