mechanic can't find the problem

susie100May 7, 2007

I have a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville. The engine has begun to shut off while I am driving, usually around 40-50 MPH. It began last fall, very intermittently, but it has become more and more frequent. At first, I could steer to the side of the road and start it right back up. Now it doesn't want to start at all after shutting off. Nothing shows up on the computer. The mechanic first thought it was the fuel pump, but now is not so sure. Anyone have any thoughts about what it could be? Thank you so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

I had a car with the electronic ignition pack doing that. Factory bulletin about it even.
Quite a costly thing as the dealer couldn't repair it for free unless he could experience the failure while in the shop to asscertain it was one of the bum ones.

I'm greasy under my fingernails occasionally so I just bought all new aftermarket distributor & ignition - it was crazy, coasting to the side of the road during rush hour everyday in the same general area.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 8:51PM
gary__

That's a tuffy. Pretty hard for a mechanic to find a phantom problem like that. Could be a lot of things and good mechanics really don't like to throw parts at something and hope for the best.

Does everything quit like the radio, ac/heater fan, ect, or just the engine? Do all the idiot lights come immediately when this happens? If everything quits, it makes me suspicious of something like the ignition switch or related wiring and connections. Most of the time when a componant fails, the check engine light comes on and sets a code. I suggested the ignition switch because if that fails, the computer might think you just turned the engine off. Just an idea. If a mechanic looking at it can't see the problem, computer land people sure can't. Though it doesn't sound like it, the best thing that could happen at this point is if it would die and stay dead. Then someone could zero in on it. Good luck with it.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 11:08PM
jemdandy

I'd check out the ignition module. GM has had some tricky ones in the past. It may stop working or trigger at the wrong time after the module exceeds a certain temperature, and then begin working again after cooling off a bit. Its hard to anticipate under what conditions will cause this particular sensor to fail because of many variables. Road draft and air currents under the hood affect the sensor's temperature. Some conditions where you may expect failure:
1. Creeping or sitting in slow traffic.
2. Pulling a long hill at less than 35 mph.

It works ok at cold startup. Only fails after it heats up.

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 1:29AM
More Discussions
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
Dying transmission question
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that has served me well...
catherinet
Brake fluid flush
I've had new brakes installed in the past. However,...
africanboy
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Sponsored Products
Filament Design Path & Landscape Lights Centennial 1-Light Outdoor LED Black
Home Depot
Milk Bottle Basket
| Dot & Bo
Uttermost Belding Modern Floor Lamp
Beyond Stores
Rizzy Home Watercolor Lake Scene Decorative Throw Pillow - T05630
$26.00 | Hayneedle
WineMaster 24 Wine Refrigerator
$599.00 | FRONTGATE