So What Is Proper Charger Etiquette?

trudymomJanuary 30, 2011

I know we can do just what we like and want to, but what is proper etiquette about using chargers?--should we use them with a placemat?--No placemat?--Tablecloth?--No tablecloth?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldalgebra
    Bookmark   January 30, 2011 at 3:22PM
duluthinbloomz4

Table cloth or placemat is just a personal preference when setting your table - neither factors in when using chargers.

Bookmark   January 30, 2011 at 5:28PM
antiquesilver

Interesting that 2 of the 3 articles refer to chop plates being the same as chargers. I've always understood that chop plates are round platters for serving steaks/chops or other round items. The size & shape would certainly lend itself as a charger (& be beautiful) but I've never seen them sold in quantity; in antique patterns, using chop plates as individual place pieces would be pricey - if you could even find them!

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 1:10AM
kathleen_li

I have seen people mix diff chop plates or silver trays as chargers. I guess if you pick them up at yard sales or auctions they might be reasonable.

I think it is impt to make sure the dinner plate doesn't slide around on the charger if someone is trying to cut their food. I either secure it or remove it for the main course .

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 8:50PM
party_music50

My mother taught me that charger plates should be pre-heated (or chilled, as appropriate) to aid in keeping food warm (or cold) by transference to the actual serving plate/dish. They weren't made of acrylic and painted back then though. lol!

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Trying something, you can help.
Any of you who see my pins on Pinterest know that I...
luvstocraft
Our Xmas Display inside & out 2014
My Christmas in case you missed it w/carols, many changes...
aputernut
Mardi Gras Breakfast
Getting ready for tomorrow. For more information and...
oldalgebra
NOT HAPPY with this TAKE-OVER
Hate, hate, hate this has happened to our Forum. I...
Purplemoon
"Inspiration Pictures" reminder
Hi Gang.....thought I'd remind you I've got a bunch...
Purplemoon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™