purchasing a volkswagon beetle

rabbit8May 16, 2006

I'm in the process of buying a volkswagon bettle. I would like to know which one is the better buy. I'm a female. What size motor and etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

p.s need help now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

I assume you mean the current Beetle, not one of the old air-cooled ones. If so, ...

For 2006, there are only two engine choices: a 2.5-liter gasoline engine and a 1.9-liter diesel engine. The Convertible does not offer the diesel engine. Unless you really pile on the miles, the 2.5-liter engine probably is your best choice. Depending on where you live, diesel fuel may be hard to find and diesel engines don't handle short-hop (under 10 miles per trip) driving as well as gas engines can. On the other hand, the diesel will give you half-again the mileage on fuel that costs about the same as regular unleaded gasoline. And, at around-town speeds, it's as fast as the old 1.8 Turbo. Not noisy or stinky, either.

(BTW, I own a diesel VW Jetta and would not trade it [or my mileage] for anything.)

Previous Beetles offered a choice of three engines: a stock 2.0 liter, a turbocharged 1.8-liter, and a 1.9-liter diesel engine (again, no diesel on the Convertible). The 1.8 offers good performance, but requires premium gas. The 2.0 liter is often referred to as the "2.slow" but it is adequate. It could be more powerful, it could be quieter, it could get better mileage. But it gets the job done. The diesel I've commented on above.

Bear in mind that, if you want a diesel Beetle, most dealers will not give you any kind of break on the price. These cars sell as soon as the transport truck arrives and the dealers know it. With fuel getting expensive and staying that way, getting 35 mpg no matter how you drive (and up to 55 if you're careful on the highway) is mighty appealing.

Hope this helps....

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 10:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rabbit8

thanks for the information.

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Running rich?
01 Taurus, Vulcan motor.owned for 4 months. Ran ok...
stoveguyy
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™