Maxima or Dakota for long trip?

cheerful1_gwMay 4, 2005

My husband will be driving to West Virginia. It's a 300 mile trip. We have a 2000 Maxima and a 2004 Dakota. Would either vehicle make it there without stopping for gas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DNT1

I drive a 97 chevy pickup and get 400 miles per tank of fuel (about 21 gallons) I would think that either one of those two vehicles would do that well or better unless they have awful small gas tanks and the man has real bad driving habits LOL. Why would he not want to stop for fuel anyway? I always have to stop every 100 miles or so just to stretch my legs a bit.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 4:20PM
cowboyind

Most vehicles will go at least 300 miles on a tank, so I'd guess that either vehicle would make the trip without stopping for gas.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 5:17PM
Lynne_SJO

Should be easy to figure out by doing the math. Total fuel tank capacity (take off one gallon, as nobody can actually run the tank 100% dry) and divide by average MPG. That will tell you how far you can go on a tank. Pretty obvious, so perhaps you have already done this. If your driving is a combo of city plus freeway, then you will have to use a simple or weighted average to come up with the MPG estimate.

L

Bookmark   May 15, 2005 at 2:49PM
earthworm

Much better is the Diesel, in a rationally sized car, 600 to 700 miles on a tank is easily possible..
Most filling stations are clean, there is no odious fuel smell, Diesel fueling is even safer..

Bookmark   May 15, 2005 at 9:28PM
GoodOleBoy

Earthworm, I musta missed something. Diesel, take the maxima better mpg. Its has the v6 and i driven 400 w/ mine when i owned it on freeway driving.

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 1:25AM
jemdandy

If you will be on paved roads at all times, take the Maxima. It's more confortable, gets better gas mileage, and may be safer than the truck (at speed) on rain slicked roads.

If you will be traveling on unpaved roads at any time including gravel, or if you will be hauling sizeable cargo, take the truck.

The truck can handle gravel better than the car, and why beat the underside and fenders of a nice car when you have an alternative.

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 2:17AM
More Discussions
too much pressure in cooling system
I have a 95 sable that lost heat about a year ago....
anggi821
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™