another balljoint question

paddleMay 24, 2006

How can i check if my balljoints are gone? I tried moving my tire back and fourth when jacked up, nothing. But i can hear some noise when i go over bumps at a slow speed. It's a 1993 Plymouth Sundance with 100,000 km's on her.

thanx

again

jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_g

To check the ball joints you have to jack up the car so that the ball joint is unloaded, that means by the frame on your Sundance. You have to check for axial movement movement with your hands at the top and the bottom of the wheel, alternately pushing in and out, (in with one hand while you pull out with the other) Then you need to repeat this with your hands at 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock, and then once again with your hands at 2 o'clock and 8 at o'clock.

While your at it, go 3 o'clock, and 9 o'clock and watch the tie rod end too, and also pay attention to the lower control arm bushings.

NEXT, you take a prybar and try to lift the wheel. This is to check for verticle movement in the joint, then you need to try and check for movement by pushing up on the control arm.

BTW, I just have to tell you. The special tools (dial indicators, pedistals, gages) that I have just for measuring front end joint play cost me more than what you had quoted for doing the joints on your van, and I'm talking US dollars, not canabucks.

As far as your clunking at slow speeds over bumps, pay attention to your sway bar bushings, both at the control arms and the frame.

Bookmark   May 24, 2006 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation
I'm looking at a 2014 Accord and wondering whether...
maryann0625
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™