91 Honda Accord - engine light on and won't start

babycutecuteApril 24, 2006

I don't even know a car forum exists on gardenweb! I am so glad I found it!!

My 91 Honda Accord will start normally (with engine light off). However, once I get it started, if I turn the engine off and start again within a short period of time (like when I am getting gas or grocery), it won't start right away. I have to try 2-3 times before it starts again, and the engine light will turn on!

The weird thing is the engine light goes off on its own after leaving it idle overnight.

This car had a similar problem a couple years ago. At that time it wouldn't start if it's been under the sun for too long. If I remember correctly, the mechanics changed the "relay"?? That fixed the problem.

This time it seems different. We have this problem even at night when it's cool.

My car has about 12K miles on it. My husband thinks that it's probably a minor problem and we can still get 2 or more years out of this car. I am not so sure.

Please help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthworm

The "engine light" primary purpose is to monitor the emissions control system.
Anything that affects emission will trigger this, and the event will be remembered, at least for the newer OBD II system..
So, the thing to do here is to bring all the cars service requirements up to date.
This problem could be something as simple as battery terminal corrosion up to some sensor or a relay.

Then, have the "codes read"..
An interpretation of the codes may help...

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Dying transmission question
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that has served me well...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™