Builder with a sense of humor

nhbasketsFebruary 15, 2014

We are in the process of building a new home (actually, it's a spec home that we were able to customize to our needs). Last Wednesday we stopped by and I noticed that the pipe for where the hand shower will be was 9" taller than I could reach. We emailed the builder and asked to have it moved down, saying I would need a stool to reach it in its current location. This afternoon we stopped by again and found this note for the plumber. I was amused and pleased that he was listening.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gabbythecat

It sounds like you get along well with your builder - nice!

Now - I'm sure you've been told this before, but before they close in those walls, be sure that you walk through the house and take pictures of every wall. I thought people were crazy to insist that I do that, but the pictures really have been helpful.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 10:08AM
sjhockeyfan325

I wish I could read his hand-writing - what does it say?

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 1:02PM
unbiddenn

Please (plz) short buyer (?)

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 1:09PM
sjhockeyfan325

I think you've got it :-) thanks for the translation!

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 1:51PM
nhbaskets

Yes, it's ...please, shorter buyer. Why do they install everything so high? So glad I caught it. Insulation is being inspected tomorrow, then they will be sheet rocking. DH has asked repeatedly to go by once inspection is done so he can take pictures of everything. I'm sure they will come in handy at some point in time.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 6:04PM
dekeoboe

Why would the pipe for a hand shower be up high? Ours is about 3 feet off the floor. The hand shower is on a bar, so it can be placed at the high you need. Having the piping down lower means you have enough hose to be able to rinse out the walls. If the hose attaches at 71" you have a tougher time using it to rinse off the walls.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 7:29PM
nhbaskets

deke--hand shower is also main shower head, which is why it's at that height. The hose is 60+ inches. No problem with rinsing down walls.

This is a photo of my current shower. Will have same configuration.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 7:58PM
dekeoboe

Ah, I didn't realize you were having only one shower head.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 10:01PM
raehelen

Before you take the pictures of walls before insulation/drywall, write in Sharpie the measurements on the 2X4's etc., ie blocking 28" from edge of wall etc. MY DH wrote everything down in a book, great idea, but he can't find the book! I took the pics, but have to be a detective to figure out actual locations from using landmarks in the photos! LOL As a consequence he missed the blocking by 1/4" when installing towel warmer....ARGGHH!

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 11:53PM
More Discussions
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Lowe's master bath estimate....seems high?
Due to a 3-year old poor tile job in our stand up shower...
A McK
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
Minimum size for walk-in shower?
What is the minimum recommended size for a walk in...
uscroy
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™