Ford Triton V8 - V10 Engine Problem

buckyApril 23, 2011

Hey Fellas: I was checking out a nice little class C motorhome last week. An 03 with only 9500 miles on her. Looks like she just came off the assembly line. Sits on a good old Ford chassis with the Triton V10 engine. I was going to buy the rig but while doing my "due diligence" before going ahead with the deal I ran across some information about these engines that got my attention real quick. Apparently up to 04 they had a habit of blowing spark plugs out of the head, apparently due to an overly small thread pattern (four threads) in the aluminum heads. Expensive to repair and Ford has refused to cover the repair cost after the warrantys up even though its likely a design problem, if this in fact is an issue with the Triton. Does anyone on the list have any knowledge or experience with these engines and/or this particular problem? I'd appreciate some feed-back and advise cause I'd sure like to pick up this rig if its not a big issue. Thanks and Cheers: Bucky2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxyplx

I found this on E-HOW.
=============================
Tips & Warnings

If one of the spark plug sockets is empty, then your spark plug was forced from your engine during the blow out. In this case, replacing the spark plug and wire is mandatory.
=========================

Really ?? !! I wondered about that but this removes all doubt.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 10:58AM
bucky

Thank you for providing this information. Now I'll be able to purchase a Ford Triton V10 with much more confidence as "all doubt" has now been removed. lol

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 12:25PM
mxyplx

Did your investigations turn up this site? Evidently they make their living fixing Ford plug blowouts. Nationwide. Without a doubt that might be a clue. :-)

blownoutsparkplug.com

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 11:10PM
bucky

Thanks for the link you provided. I didn't find this site during my info hunt. I think I'll pass on the Ford Triton powered units as Ford clearly has a serious design problem with this engine.

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Sponsored Products
40W 120V G16 1/2 E12 Krypton Clear Bulb by SATCO Lighting
$1.99 | Lumens
Pragma Queen-size Bi-fold Bed
Overstock.com
River Crest Four-Light Foyer Pendant
$290.00 | Bellacor
4-Light Wall / Bath Brushed Nickel
$74.70 | PLFixtures
15743BKT Textured Black 8.5 Watts Wide Kichler LED Landscape Light
EnvironmentalLights.com