Timing Belt

jsouth3April 4, 2008

I have a 2001 Toyota Sienna,that I bought new,it now has 88,000 miles,on it.I have kept up with the maintance and kept a log in the owner manual,since new.The only thing I have had done was have the fluids change,no real problems,still runs good,my question is the maintance book says to change the timing belt at 90,000 should I have the belt change or not,if not would it cause serious damage to the engine.This is the first time the maintance cause for this.I have a friend that has a 98 model he has change his three times,his book shows to change it at 60,00 miles.Any thoughts.

Thanks

Jerry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_h

if it goes, it will trash the top end of the engine, big bucks!! now if your willing to gamble, most likely you can get another 20 to 30 thousand miles from it. now me i would let it go, but after 100k i dont care, i`ll just buy another car. so if buying another car is no big deal, gamble and let it go, if not, you better replace it. your call.

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 10:28PM
johndeere

Take a look at the belt if there is a area you can see it from the cover being in the way?Use a light to see the condition if there are any cracks better replace it.I passed up a chance at a used Ford Ranger pickup truck awhile back after noticing cracks in the belt.

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 11:59PM
jemdandy

Replace the timing belt - Don't gamble on this.

If you decide to trade the vehicle at 100,000 miles, it will be worth more with a replaced belt than trying to sell it with a trashed engine.

[A few overhead cam engines are free turning - pistons won't hit the valves if the belt breaks. I don't take a chance on this until I know for sure; Always assume the pistons will hit the valves until proven otherwise.]

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 2:54AM
jsouth3

Thanks for the replies,I will have it replaced.

Jerry

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 5:15PM
iggie

The boys are giving you some good advice, if the engine is one with a certain clearence setup and the timing belt goes it will definitely trash the valve system and who knows what else on the engine, the repair will cost big bucks, replacing the timing belt is a smart move.

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 11:06PM
More Discussions
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Radio antenna badly bent at car wash
I know this is going to sound really stupid but what...
africanboy
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Dying transmission question
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that has served me well...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™