Help! Poor tile work in bathroom

kjpollockFebruary 15, 2013

I am remodeling my 1906 house and have been generally very pleased with my contractor. However, I am not happy with the tile work in the bathrooms.

I spent hours reading posts on this forum and Houzz and decided on Daltile unglazed ceramic hex on the floors. We are doing different patterns with the mosaic in different bathrooms--daisies, dots, a square border on the edges, etc. Not super easy but not crazy difficult for an experienced tile layer.

However, the tile work looks terrible. There are wide gaps between some tiles and no gap between others. Where the white hex is popped out and the black hex dot is inserted, it's not straight. The hex tile had to be cut in half so that a square border could be put up against it and the cut tiles are severely chipped (not clean cuts).

I will admit to being a perfectionist so I'm really struggling with trying to decide if this all needs to be redone by another professional or if this is good quality work and my expectations are just too high.

I've talked with my contractor and they have tried to fix some of it, but even the fixes don't look that great. I don't have pictures to post right now but might try to get some later.

Please advise. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hobokenkitchen

If you are looking for opinions on the work I would definitely suggest posting pics.
Sorry you're not happy with your bathrooms. It is so disappointing when that happens.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 8:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
qt314b

Being a perfectionist, it's hard to know sometimes when a problem is within normal limits & my standards are unreasonable or if my issue is a valid one. Unfortunately my husband usually seem to think it's me. With my almost done bathroom I was in and out of the bathroom when the tile setter was working and kind of was a pain for him yet I still feel that he screwed up some.

That being said, If the space between tiles is not consistent I would think it's his problem not yours. If you post pictures you'll get a better opinion on whether the issue is within normal limits or not.

I hope you are able to resolve the issues to your satisfaction so you can enjoy the finished product completely!

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
My afterthought bathroom REVEAL
I was doing a major remodel on a guest bathroom and...
shappy22
tile drywall corner transition
I'm trying to figure out how to complete the corner...
mattt19
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
robe hook in frameless shower glass?
Does anyone have experience with robe hooks in frameless...
nellie08
Sponsored Products
White Thassos Hexagon Marble Mosaics
$20.95 | TileBar
Justice Design Group POR-8921 - Modular 1 Light Wall Sconce - Tall Tapered Cylin
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Blue Water Droplet Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Squiggle Chrome One-Light Bath Fixture
$89.95 | Bellacor
Avanity SONOMA-VS39-RK 39 Inch Vanity Combo in Restored Khaki Wood finish
Blue Bath
1-Light Wall / Bath Brushed Nickel
$65.60 | PLFixtures
Bradley Bronze Three Light Vanity
$126.00 | Bellacor
Round Polished Chrome Waste Bin With Pedal