car died today

beth1954April 23, 2008

I have been having trouble for a few days with my car "bogging down" on the interstate. Not just a little bogging down--not that often, but when it does it, it's pretty noticeable. Today I was on my way home and it started bogging down and finally was just like it didn't want to go anywhere, slowing down, etc. So I pulled over for a minute. Pretty soon one of the guys I work with came by and he followed me over to my mechanic's place. The car seemed to do "OK" at a slow pace, but if I stepped on the gas a little harder, it would bog again, only not as bad as on the interstate. What do you think? fuel injectors? Fuel pump???? My car is a 1984 Honda w/198,000 mile on it, and no, I can't get another car! Thanks, Beth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

198,000 miles... Hmmm... have you checked the fuel filter? It may be full of water.

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 1:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thecarguy

A lot of the early 1st and 2nd gen Hondas had problems with the carburetors. I've got a 1981 Honda Civic station wagon that was having similar symptoms (Bogging down when I gave it gas, etc.) I was told the carb was probably shot and to replace it with a Webber (apparently they have a carb kit available for these old Hondas)so I had the Webber carb installed and the difference was night and day. Has more pep, is a lot more responsive, doesnt cough or sputter in the mornings, etc. My Civic has just under 80k miles on it is is a garage queen for the most part (It's in mint show -condition) so if you've got 198k on the original carb, that might be a likely culprit.

Could be transmission related as well...?

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Running rich?
01 Taurus, Vulcan motor.owned for 4 months. Ran ok...
stoveguyy
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™