Short Trip Moves Of Heavy Appliance Items

llaatt22February 25, 2014

Driving down a busy major street today and a flatbed tow truck looms up beside me going in the same direction. On the back of the tow truck was a chained down forklift. Not that unusual, except on the forklift was what appeared to be a new very robust in size and weight chained down Hobart brand transformer or perhaps a transmission. Obviously an urgent delivery in progress.
Just something to keep in mind if you have something outsized and no idea how to shift it to a new location.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chadw01

Thanks, however I'm more concerned about getting a 3-400lb appliance (i.e. range) from the drop-off curbside into my house since most places will not bring these heavy appliances directly into your kitchen, but will deliver to your street.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindallas

I don't have any personal experience with them but learned about "air sleds" that are designed to specifically move heavy appliances like ranges and refridgerators. I came across these when I was researching if I wanted a range. And how could installers get them into position while NOT mess up my new hardwood floors. It impressed me.

They are lightweight sliders that have air pumped into them from a vacuum. Sounds like it would not be sturdy enough but they have videos of this. These are designed more for moving into position IN the kitchen but I don't see why you could not use them for your purpose. Or maybe a heavy appliance dolly from the street or garage and the air sled indoors. They are available in 400lb, 650lb, 850lb and 1100lb capacity models.

Pretty impressive videos. I have no affiliation with them at all. Just thought it was such a cool and deceptively simple tool. They even have a special Sub-Zero attachment. And designed to move over smooth floors but has a special attachment for carpet and rough floors and a spacer attachment for appliances with legs. Very interesting concept. I'm going to get an appliance installer that uses these or buy it myself to have. No reason now to damage floors or cabinets with these available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Sled overview w video

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
cooktop
Hi, I finally narrowed down to 3 different 30 inch...
wmc123
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
brewcat
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
True Refrigerator (residential)
I came across this beautiful photo of a True refrigerator...
ltislander
self cleaning oven racks
Almost all oven manufacturers require removing oven...
dickross
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™