back signals don't work but front do

jedman22April 27, 2013

So I drive a 1993 ford explorer and my back signals don't work at all and my front signals do but they just stay on instead of ticking and I checked fuses and changed bulbs and they still don't work any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

Do the brake lights work? Do the back lamps work when the headlamps are turned on?

If none of these work, then suspect a loss of a ground connection.

If only the signal lamps are affected, the search is narrowed. Without the additional load of the rear signal lamps, the thermally operated blinker relay won't work, or works erratically. Both rear signal lamps are inoperative. My first guess: You have lost continuity in the rear signal lamp circuits. Since both are affected, look for a connection that is common to both. I suspect it is a ground connection. If this is not the problem, you need to broaden the search.

The right and left signal lamps are fed by 2 separate circuits. I'd be surprised if both of these were out at the same time except in cases of wire cutting, etc.

If a simple item is not the cause, then you will need a circuit diagram to sort things out.

You did not mention anything about the condition of the signal lamp assembly. If it is corroded out, it may need replacing. Are both lamp sockets in good condition?

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 2:15AM
More Discussions
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™