Part 2 - What is wrong with this truck (Steering)

dooneApril 21, 2008

Sorry, I was unable to edit my previous post.

I forgot to mention that it drives as if the power steering is out. I can hardly turn the wheel. I think it once had power steering (1986).

I've done some research and this looks like the parts to a steering column. Is there more to it? Would it require more than this to fix?

1. Steering column assembly.

2. Steering column.

3. Intermediate shaft.

4. Universal joint.

5. Power-assisted steering system.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_g

Woah,,,, time out...

It's not possible to accurately guess what is wrong with the steering on your truck over the internet. It's also not possible to do it over the phone, if you would try to call a shop and ask them how much is it to fix it without them doing any testing. In fact, it's SO WRONG to go about it that way that anyone that attempts to give you a price without first diagnosing the problem is the place to stay away from because they don't know enough about the system to know they can't guess a price!

I'll show you how good it is to have someone guess without seeing the truck. I will guess the belt fell off the pump, that will be about $80.00. Now being serious that is only one of the most obvious things that need to be checked and confirmed as ok, or not ok. From there nothing short of a full inspection of the steering system which includes attaching a pressure tester is going to lead you directly to the answer. So find a good shop, with good techs, and pay them to diagnose the truck, then pay them to fix it correctly, and you will get value for the money that is spent.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 6:06PM
doone

Hey John_g,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry, I wasn't looking for an exact figure. I was just hoping that someone could give a me a ball-park figure (i.e., to replace the whole thing). I agree that it's hard to accurately guess car problems. But, thanks for the info about having to hook it up to a pressure tester.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 9:45AM
john_g

NO-ONE should replace "the whole thing". There may well be more than one failure, or more than one part associated to the repair, such as for an example a hose that won't survive the repair process. But looking for the whole thing first will have shops starting off on the wrong foot. Test correctly, and repair from there!

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 10:57AM
gary__

Just curious, is this thing new to you or what? It either has power steering or it doesn't. If it has power steering and all of a sudden it doesn't, check to see if the belt flew off. My son has an '86 and it has a separate belt just for the power steering.

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
truck locked up tight
350 in 96 1500 locked up tight. Just driving down the...
timlynn
want to purchase new Car
Hi guys .i want to purchase new car but I am confused..need...
Bill Payday
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Sponsored Products
Flos | Spun Light T Table Lamp
YLighting
Large Printed Taupe Jar
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Spun Floor Lamp
Design Within Reach
Flatweave Ledbury Lattice Cotton Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Spun Light T1 Table Lamp by Flos Lighting
$1,195.00 | Lumens
Feiss Concord 3-Light 21" Wide Steel Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Robert Sonneman Tuxedo 5 Light Pendant Bar Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
Florence Style Loft Leather Armchair in White
$519.00 | LexMod
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™