Repair $$

joe_mnApril 19, 2012

99 grand prix. Changed outer tierods, oxy sensor, oil. Several days later 1 coil failed. Code reader said #2 cyl was suspect. Changed plug, wire. Than found no spark. Changed coil. Runs fine. Replaced burned out bulb for speedo. Taking gauge assy out is interesting. And my kid thinks this is normal dad stuff. Any idea what these repairs would cost at shop?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

More than you'd want to pay. If this was done at a dealership, expect to pay $80 to $100 per hour for labor and shop charges. I'm guessing they'd need 1 hour to change the tierod ends, 1/2 hr for the oxygen sensor and another charge if they heed to reset the engine controller for a new sensor, Diagnose the misfire and repair, 1hr, replacing the speedo lamp could range from 1/2 hour to 2 hours or more depending on accessibility. Oil change and filter at an oil change shop is about $25 to $30.

At minimun, you have 3.5 hr @ 80 per hour or $280 and $30 for the oil change and filter. Add the cost of parts. If they encounter a problem, expect a greater charge.

Now about that Speedo lamp. Did you have to remove the instrument panel? If so, you should have relamped everything while you were in there.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 4:29AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

When I was getting my tires rotated a few years ago, they were trying to tell me my tierods needed to be replaced and were asking me to pay about $500 for parts & labor. I thought that was high and, although it didn't really need to be done, I called a couple places and got 2 quotes for around half of that. I've never been back to that place (and my tierods are still doing fine!) Not all women are ignorant about cars and this really made me mad!! Anyway, that part of what you did would have been at least $250. Your kid is very lucky to have you, and hopefully interested in learning what you know. Well done!

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 9:56AM
AnthonyKeene

I am having a problem with my 06 GP with 45k miles. It feels like a popping or a clicking when turning at low speeds. I don't have any problems at higher speeds or when driving straight. Any ideas what this might be? I appreciate any help.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 10:00PM
joe_mn

Clicking when turning is usually CV joint. Remaned axles are pretty cheap.
The gauge cluster comes out with 2 screws. Yes I changed all "illuminate" bulbs. Clear bulb but red dash light. Must be a reddish film I cannot see. Maf died last year. I changed that too. Charged kid usual dad price.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
truck locked up tight
350 in 96 1500 locked up tight. Just driving down the...
timlynn
Brake fluid flush
I've had new brakes installed in the past. However,...
africanboy
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
Sponsored Products
LED 14 Inch Chimney Six-Light Six-Light Wall Lantern -Black
$378.10 | Bellacor
Pittman Ultra Double High Queen-size Air Mattress with Built-in Pump
Overstock.com
Koncept Gen 3 Equo Daylight LED Modern Floor Lamp Silver
Euro Style Lighting
Templar 12 Inch Outdoor Coach Lantern -White
$47.31 | Bellacor
15' Inflatable Dock Slide
FRONTGATE