Waxing a car using Orbital Waxer thing

andrelaplume2April 30, 2010

Twice a year I clean my cars and wax them with S100 paste. The ole wipe on - wipe off is getting old...I am too! I have seen these polisher things and watched some videos on their use. If I understand correctly, most people are using them to remove swirls and scratches and if you use a DA (?) type you need to be real carefull not to screw up your paint.

The reccomendation is to buy one that says ORBITAL on the box so you can *not* mess up your paint. Is this correct? I have NO interest in worrying about swirls or scratches. I just want somthing that applies the wax and removes it instead of using my hands.

I am not interested in spending $100+ on a porter cable (?) brand that seems to be the rave.

The Harbor Freight and B & D have mixed reviews but if I find one labelled ORBITAL (?) won't that work as well as my hands wiping on and wiping off.

If cheap enough, do I buy two so I can apply wax to a section with one machine and then wipe it off with another. B&D outlets sometimes have these referb'd with full warranty for $22....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andrelaplume2

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-random-orbit-waxer-polisher-43424.html.

In fact they have a 6" on for $18 and this one for $25. With 20% coupons I can have both for about $35.

Could I not apply tghe wax with the little on and then wipe off with the big one alternating a section of the car at a time?

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 11:44AM
gary__

"The reccomendation is to buy one that says ORBITAL on the box so you can *not* mess up your paint. Is this correct?"

Yep, Orbital and DA polishers are pretty safe. Pro's use a rotory because they're fast, but it's real easy to burn the paint with those so they're not recommended for amatures.

As far as I know, anything you rub on or off by any means will leave a marks, either swirls or side to side.

I use a DA to apply the wax, and remove by hand. I try to do it twice a year, but have been falling behind with it since I got old and tired...and don't give a 'sh' anymore.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 11:58AM
andrelaplume2

will it remove the wax as well....I am thinking of lining 2 of the HF puppies up at once and just going to town with them. My car is white and I do not have or see swirls...just like getting a coat or two of wax on to keep it portected...

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 12:02PM
gary__

"will it remove the wax as well"

Yes, but my experience has been it forms clumps on the bonnet and then makes marks on the paint surface. I suppose the solution to that would be to by extras and change them out if and when that happens. For me, applying the stuff is the hard part. Wiping it off is pretty easy. jmo

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™