Can you Add a tile flange to a bathtub?

palimpsestFebruary 19, 2013

I am thinking of a small bathroom plan where a tub like the Kohler Mayflower (44" x 48") could make sense.

The 44" side has a 28" projection while the 48" side has a 24" projection.

This is a corner tub, but I was thinking of a 3-wall alcove application which means I would need a flange on one of the short sides.

Is it possible to do something like epoxy a tile flange on the outer edge of one of the aproned sides for proper waterproofing in a 3-wall alcove situation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycbluedevil

I would think so. I got the Kohler Greek tub and installed it in an alcove. Kohler sells a tile-in bead kit which I bought. We ended up using something else that my contractor bought but was the same idea.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 6:57PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

If it's an acrylic tub, the short answer is "technically yes". If it's a cast iron, then no. You can't glue plastic to cast iron with any success. The long answer is that that isn't a tub that's suited to being used as a shower, regardless of if a tile flange is attached. The large deck area will funnel water onto the adjacent floor rather than into the tub. Tubs that are designed for use as a tub/shower combo do not have any deck area for water to accumulate. They are designed for the flange to fit against the wall, and the wall of the tub to be directly below it to funnel the overspray back into the tub.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:52AM
marcolo

I took a lot of long showers in high school in an original pink Cinderella tub, with no water on the floor.

Pal, did you see the link I posted in Kitchens? You can get an original white Cinderella with flanges on three sides.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 10:35AM
palimpsest

I think I have a plan worked out where I can use the Mayflower tub in a corner installation, without the extra side enclosed alcove style.

The existing situation is a small back-to back full bath/powder room set up where the powder room was jerry rigged into a three quarter that is not code compliant I don't think.

The plan is to redo both baths but there is no way to expand (at least in one direction) so gaining space for the 3/4 involves stealing a few inches from the full bath.

This tub provides the answer, I think, and it would be appropriate because it's a mid-century house. Not being able to add a flange actually made me look at both bathrooms differently.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Does anyone know where to sell a brand new vanity
looking to sell locally only and tried craigslist this...
matdrew
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Under bathroom sink pull-out
Having custom bathroom vanity built...double sinks...
janelor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™