What would you upgrade (on a shoestring) in a guest bath

kam76February 4, 2013

We are planning to sell this house in the near future. The 3/4 guest bath in the basement is horrible. Think nasty safari wall paper and a black painted??! countertop with all the lovely watermarks and peeling that show you that painting a countertop is a bad idea. When we moved in 7 years ago we thought we would do something about it but could never come up with a plan that satisfied all our other needs in the basement space so of course we did nothing. Now we are going to sell and I want a bathroom that isn't going to turn the buyer off but that won't break the bank either.

Obviously we are going to strip the wall paper and paint and replace the lovely cheap vinyl strip baseboards. The toilet and shower are in decent shape. What else would you do?

Change light fixture? it is pretty dated
hardware on vanity- matches the faucet but kinda boring
Granite counter top? (I found a 30" on craigslist for $75 with a sink) or just go with laminate?
The faucet? not bad, not my style but not horrible
The vanity? It is painted white wood, in average decent shape
I am not crazy about changing the vinyl floor (maybe stick tiles?)
Put up shelves? (not much storage in the 30" vanity)

I will get new towels and bath mats and all that stuff.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booboo60

I would do as much as I could for cheap. All the things you mentioned that you are doing for sure are good, to get the "safari" feel out of there. Lol! Don't know if I would do the floor either, if you think it could be neutral enough or not be noticed too much, just leave it. Way to go on the craigslist find, love it!

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:13PM
pricklypearcactus

Can you share a picture? It's hard t say without seeing it. $75 for granite sounds pretty great if it'll fit.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 10:03PM
gmp3

I think you are on the right track. Keep an eye out for a Craigslist vanity too, if you can swing it. Again pictures would help.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 1:17AM
abfabamy

I agree about the Craigslist vanity top. The bathroom in our new house had received a small ""touch up" before being put on the market...it included paint, peel and stick floor tiles, a new comfort height toilet and a big box granite top with undermount sink and new faucet. We were pleased to see that the bathroom had been "updated" when we walked through. Of course, 2 years later and we are ripping it out and redoing it for real! But, at the time of walk through, seeing the minor improvements were enough to satisfy us then.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 10:20AM
mabeldingeldine_gw

I'd snatch the granite CL vanity top, and design around that. Paint the vanity to coordinate, paint the walls, add a shelf for towels/storage. If the vinyl flooring will look ok with the granite, I'd just keep it after cleaning it withing an inch of its life and coating with Mop and Glow or some other shine enhancer. If not, replace it with new sheet vinyl, or vinyl planks, it is not a difficult DIY project in a small room if you are at all handy.

Probably a new light fixture too, as you can find some good-looking inexpensive ones at HD or Lowes. I just bought one for less than $80 that will work until that bath reaches the top of the list.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
if studs are 16' apart, can i have a 24' medicine cab recessed?
can the builder recess a medicine cabinet wider than...
srg215
Strom Thermostatic Control Valve & Volume Controls for Shower
I am looking at the Strom Plumbing shower system for...
nancyinmich
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
Bertch 60" single bowl vanity for hall bath
I would appreciate some advice and insight on my dilemma....
Sofia Akhter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™