Barstool and Body Shop question for you...

aceyApril 30, 2005

I have posted in the furniture forum as well, but let me run this question past those of you who know something about auto body shops....

I need to take apart 2 barstools made of metal, but not sure what kind of metal (iron, steel, etc). The column stem and arms are of hollow metal, in a grainy (like teeny sand)whitish finish. I assume this is spray paint or what they call powder coated ( I don't know what exactly that means).

I will remove the upholstered seat cushions and seat backs and recover them.

The upholsterer guy suggested two things to me...either I rough the metal up a bit with 400 grade sandpaper, then spray paint them myself, but even better he said I should bring the frames to a body shop for a more professional job.

Do body shops take on jobs such as this? Would they think I was a nut to call up and ask them if they would paint a couple barstools for me? Any body shop people out there who would know if that is a good idea?

Ideas, suggestions appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DNT1

Some of the smaller ones do (do not even call the big chain type outfits) they have a spray booth and spray equipment that will give you a great smooth finish however the cost will be high unless you do all the prep work yourself and if not prepped correctly the super smooth finish will show every flaw in you prep work. I would probably invest in some new ones or just grab a can of spray paint from the hardware and go at it myself. If you really want a super dursble finish and have lots of spare cash check into the powdercoating process lots of motorcycle shops that do painting work have the perfect setup for small parts like barstools etc.

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™