Help--shower tile covered with grout

lisalmFebruary 11, 2014

I am so bummed--I have a cheap shower drop-in in my master bathroom, and I tried to have it jazzed up a little by having mosaic tile done all around it. The tile I picked is beautiful--sheets of rectangular tiles that are a mix of green and brown glass tile and lighter stone pieces that may be travertine. The guy who installed it did a decent job (far from perfect, but not bad). However, when he grouted, he clearly screwed up--I think he didn't wipe the grout soon enough, and þ of the tile was completely coated with grout. He used the pre-mixed kind, and it was supposed to be unsanded but it was a gritty mess. He tried to tell me that this happens with "porous" stones, but he was completely full of it--this was his error. He said he would try to take care of it, and I thought he had, but when I looked more closely after he left, it was a mess still. I have scrubbed with a nylon brush and water and vinegar solution. It helped some but not too much. What seems to be working is rubbing it with a soft sandpaper block. However, my hands and wrists are killing me, and it still looks rather filmy in spots and downright coated in others.

I thought about trying to use a grout film remover, but I read the label carefully, and it said not for use with natural stone (just ceramic tile).

Any idea what I can do? I almost wonder if a power sander/buffer would work (not that I have one of those).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

I don't use premixed grout, so I have zero first-hand experience.

If you know the manufacturer, call their tech support, or go to their web pages. The "technical documents" for the grout used will usually have cleanup information.

If you have a steam generator/machine you could try that. Steam should soften the film and it might make it easier to remove.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 8:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raehelen

I found the best thing to remove dried on grout is a plastic rectangular scouring pad. You know the kind you buy from the grocery store. Mine are made from recycled beverage containers, so I assume that means plastic. The label on mine said test in an inconspicuous place, and not to be used on highly polished surfaces. I'm not sure about your glass tiles, are they not getting scratched from the sandpaper? On my unglazed porcelain tiles, the colour from the scouring pad actually comes off on my tile, at first I panicked, but that colour washes off quite easily. I figured out through trial and error, that if I saw the colour on the tile, that meant there was still some grout present (guess the fibres are being caught by the sanded grout), if there is no colour, all the grout is gone. My grout is a very similar colour to my tile, so not always easy to tell if there's any there.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 3:19AM
More Discussions
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
wall mounted sink with hidden pipes?
Hi all, Would like a small-ish wall mounted sink, but...
randyelipson
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
Sponsored Products
Crescent 1 Wall Clock by David Scherer
$98.95 | Bellacor
Waverunner Corner in Light Gray
$450.00 | LexMod
WAC White 4" LED Square Shower Recessed Light Trim
Euro Style Lighting
Alloy Sequoia Blend 1/2 X Random Marble & Glass Tile
$16.50 | TileBar
Rockford Carbon Oak Saddle Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets