Finished white/marble bathroom

saydeFebruary 20, 2012

We finished about three years ago but I never posted. This is the master bath in a 1927 house. Original footprint but modified layout. The Gramercy washstand, vintage faucets, sconces, towel racks and medicine chest are all from Restoration Hardware. Toto Mercer toilet. We used carrara hexagon tiles on the floor and tub surround. Tub is Porcher cast iron. Frameless glass shower.

Very happy with the bathroom but would not recommend RH -- the mirror is delaminating --- it is really defective --- and RH customer service has refused to acknowledge or do anything. Very disappointed.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anna_chosak

Always a pleasure to see one of your beautiful rooms, Sayde! It's very calm and soothing and classic. I especially like the gray ceiling against the white of the tiles and picking up the Carrara. I'm only seeing one picture--are there others?

Wonderful, elegant design that is, like your kitchen, pitch-perfect for your house.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 5:46PM
pricklypearcactus

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your beautiful bathroom.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 6:33PM
cat_mom

Gorgeous!!!

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 7:04PM
pharaoh

Lovely. I love white and gray.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 7:25PM
sayde

Thank you! I so appreciate the comments.

Here is another view. Since then we have added a mirror and towel bar on the wall opposite the washstand. My DH made the white cabinets on the two facing walls.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 7:45PM
pharaoh

Just lovely... what a beautiful bathroom.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 7:54PM
positano

Oh I love that floor!!!!!!! Gorgeous bathroom!

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 8:09PM
springroz

Soo pretty!! I love the hex tiles!! DH did a wonderful job on those wall cabinets!

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 8:59PM
treasuretheday

What an elegant, chic room you have created! I particularly love the full tiled walls and gray ceiling.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 8:59PM
enduring

Very Pretty and Relaxing. I love it.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 10:56PM
sayde

Thank you all! It is actually nice to have waited this long to post the bathroom as we had such a tough time with it -- had to let go the first contractor -- but all that has now receded into memory and the bathroom is a pure pleasure.

The hex tiles were from AKDO --they were expensive but they did not disappoint.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 11:08PM
positano

Are your marble tiles polished or honed? I am deciding weather I want to put polished marble 2" hex in our main bath that the whole family uses, including a 6 year old boy.

I just love them so much and nothing else gets me excited. Am I crazy? With a good sealer will I be ok?

Love your bath, I want to move in!!

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 4:09PM
sayde

Hi positano,

The marble is all honed. I think with a good sealer you will be OK. We had a really excellent tile installer -- the job is just perfect. (He made up for all the jerks and incompetents we encountered along the way and he is the only one we allowed into the kitchen!)

I am the only one who uses this bathroom, except for occasional visits from my son and his fiancee. DH refuses to use it! He keeps to his own bathroom -- can you believe that? So the bathroom does not get heavy usage. I am super careful. So you may need to consider that too when you decide what to do. For sure I would use a darker grout. And I think honed is easier to live with then polished.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 4:27PM
busybee3

beautiful bathroom!

i just thought i'd comment to positano re: polished marble on the floors---we have polished marble tile on our floor and have had some trouble around the toilet--urine and polished (sealed!) marble does not seem to mix! definitely has etched and discolored some small areas of our bath:(

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 6:14PM
positano

Oh darn, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. What kind of cleaners do you use on it to get the urine out.
My sample of hex tiles has a lot of gold in it, so maybe discoloration won't be too bad????
What size marble tiles do you have? Just wondering if it won't be as noticeable on 2 inch hex.
Trying to talk myself into it LOL!
Thanks for the response busy bee... have any pictures?

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 7:43PM
hosenemesis

What a beautiful bathroom. Thank you for sharing the photo.
Renee

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 8:55PM
64reno64

Its lovely! Thanks for sharing. Where did you find such large hex tiles?? I love the look of them. Thanks.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 9:55PM
writersblock

It really is pretty. What a shame about the mirror--the style is perfect for the room.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 10:51PM
positano

Hi Sayde,
Thanks for answering my questions. I think I am going with the 2" hex. It's from the tile shop and I was considering their sealer. I did a search for it and your name came up. DId you use it in your kitchen and bath? Happy with it? I think it is called Premium Gold for marble and onyx.

Just want to make sure we have a great sealer. If not I will use Miracle 511.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 8:57AM
shanghaimom

Oh, what a pretty bathroom! I'm reading the sealer comments and questions with interest, as we are getting close to finishing up a similar bathroom. (Carrera + white subway walls)

I hope it turns out half as nice as yours. Really, really beautiful! Thanks so much for posting the photos.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 9:22AM
sayde

Hi positano

My tile installer used Aqua Mix in the bathroom. We used the Premium Gold on the Danby Marble in the kitchen. But shortly after the tile guy decided to put on an extra coat of Aqua Mix because we were using a dark grout on the backsplash and he wanted to be really sure that it would not stain the marble.

My tile guy likes the Aqua Mix.

I wonder if there is really that much difference among them. I think the key is to be careful and periodically re-seal.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 4:00PM
lisa_a

What a serene space! Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 8:19PM
positano

Thanks Sayde about the Aqua Mix. Enjoy that beautiful bathroom!

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 6:12AM
More Discussions
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™