Main floor bath a long walk from kitchen

shadeyFebruary 16, 2014

Hello,

We have just purchased a 1948 cape cod in extreme need of a renovation. We are gutting the kitchen and dining room and putting in a main floor laundry. The main floor bath is on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen/laundry zone. We will have to walk through the living room and turn 2 corners to get to it. This is a full bath which will sometimes serve as a guest bath as it is next to the guest room.

It would be very convenient to have a powder room next to the kitchen but we are dumping so much into the house already ... And even a small powder room takes space that I want for my laundry/kitchen.

My current powder room is right near the kitchen, I wonder if it will be that inconvenient to go to the other side of the house or is it just something that will take getting used to?

Input?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debrak2008

I think you need to think about your family and your guests. Do you have little children who need to get to the bathroom quickly? Anyone with mobility problems? Think about your age and how long you plan to live there.

Some people don't like bathrooms near kitchens, others find them very convenient.

Any cape I've seen built in the 1940's or 50's is not very big to begin with. Can you post a layout?

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 5:39PM
Olychick

For me it would be whether it's close to an outside door - if I'm out in the garden, I don't want to have to traipse through the whole house to use the bathroom. If your house isn't huge, it won't be a big deal to get to the existing bathroom - you'll get used to it.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 10:19PM
shadey

now that's a good point. The house is on a lake with a walkout basement and there is a powder room down there. that is the one that will be used when we are outside so we won't have to traipse thru the main floor. Snd the house is small, so it's not so far.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 1:21AM
shadey

now that's a good point. The house is on a lake with a walkout basement and there is a powder room down there. that is the one that will be used when we are outside so we won't have to traipse thru the main floor. Snd the house is small, so it's not so far.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Please can you help with bath vanity design issue?
My original bath layout has changed somewhat, due to...
happyallison
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™