Dumb gas line question

jellytoastFebruary 17, 2013

So I am installing a new gas range and trying to change the gas and electrical connections to fit this new model. We are on a slab, so the gas line runs down the wall behind the range. The specs call for the gas line to be no higher than 2 inches off the floor. There is a metal bracket that runs all along the back of the range and they want the gas line to go below this bracket. Problem is, the gas fitting alone is 2 inches high! Even if we cut the 2 x 4 plate that runs along the floor behind the drywall down to the ground and ran the gas line so it sat directly on the floor, there is no room to actually turn the fitting to make it tight in the pipe. If we left room for that, we'd be above the 2 inches! So anyway, above this metal bracket there is a generous opening that the gas fitting would fit into just fine. Since this opening is much more accomodating, is there any reason we couldn't run the gas line out in that area? I just can't figure out why the specs are so specific to that one small area, when there is so much more room elsewhere. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My guess is that they want the gas line under the range so the shut off is acessible.

I'd contact the mfgr and ask them why.

    Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 11:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

We installed an elbow in the gas line so the fitting/shut-off would be paralell to the floor.
Here's a mid-construction shot.
The gas line is along the back wall.

    Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 1:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

With gas, never a thing as a dumb question.

    Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 1:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you, Whit461. :-)

Will TV ... even as low as your gas line is, it is still too tall to fit in the "required" space for my range.

I called the manufacturer today and explained the problem that the valve was too big to fit underneath the 2 inch space. The rep said that only the gas pipe should come out there, and that the shut off valve shouldn't be located behind the range. That's news to me, as every house I have ever lived in had the shut off valve behind the stove. Plus, my gasline was installed by a licensed plumber and passed inspection without issue. When I asked where the shut off was supposed to go if not behind the stove, he said it should go in an adjacent cabinet. My gas line runs down the wall directly behind the edge of my cabinet run, so that's not going to help me.

I'm thinking now to put the shut off valve in a recessed box behind the range and then feed the flex line into the larger recessed area behind the stove. Any reason that won't work?

    Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 4:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

With the range top removed, is the gas line connection visible.

You might be able to install the gas valve where it enters the range. Another words, gas line comes up wall, 90 degree ell, gas valve, union to range.

    Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 5:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The gas line connect on the range is near the bottom, on the opposide side of where the gas line comes out now. We were going to use flex line to reach it. DH has nixed the idea of the recessed box.

    Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 6:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What size pipe are you using? I was able to install one that was within 2" from the floor. I went through the wall with an elbow, then had a short nipple with a second elbow to go parallel to the wall. Try going to a home store and find the lowest profile valve.

Another option may be to put the valve in an adjacent canine I recall some posts that mention that approach.

    Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 8:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

> put the valve in an adjacent canine

I think the SPCA would have something to say about that! :-)

    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 11:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Our plumber built a recessed box out of sheet metal directly behind the range and put the shutoff valve in there. Then ran flex tube to the range. If I'm not mistaken you are going to need flex pipe no matter what you do, otherwise how would you both install or be able to access behind the range without flex pipe? I don't have a pic of what our plumber did, but it is similar to this:

He wanted to put the shut-off in the adjacent cabinet but I didn't want it taking up space. As a compromise, he agreed to put a second shutoff upstream in our utility room which is more accessible than having to slide out the entire stove.

    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 3:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

dont' quote me, but there are some newer codes that talk about 'accessability' of the valve such that putting it into an adjacent cabinet makes the most sense.

    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 3:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It is not feasible to put the shut off valve in an adjacent cabinet. The gas line runs down the wall directly behind the end run of a DRAWER cabinet, then corners to come out behind the range. The exisiting line that comes out behind the range was installed by a licenced plumber and was inspected and passed by the city. It is up to code having the shut off valve behind the range, as sliding out the range to access the shut off valve is considered "accessible." Regardless, the shut off valve to the main gas supply to my house is directly outside the kitchen door, just a few steps away from the range, so shutting it off outside in an emergency is easy enough. Takkone, that recessessed box set up is what I was pushing for, but the idea was nixed by my DH who decided it was overkill for our situtation. There is a large recessed panel in the back of the range, and we have decided to raise the shut off valve a few inches to where it will slide into that area when the stove is pushed in.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 15:37

    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 3:36PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Can a Whirpool wrs342fiab00 Refrigerator use water filter bypass ?
I have an undersink filter connected to this fridge,...
1200cfm oversized hood...Overkill for 30" BlueStar range?
I am getting a 30" BlueStar RNB range for my kitchen...
Major Kitchen Remodel
I'm looking for a counter-depth 36" stainless...
Kim Taff
Bluestar Platinum interchangeable grill/griddle on RNB?
I have a 36" RNB rangetop. I regret that I chose...
Custom Panel on a Jenn air french door counter depth fridge?
Hello, want to know if it's possible to have custom...
Sponsored Products
Cassara 60" Round Outdoor Dining Table Cover
$84.50 | FRONTGATE
Milson Lines Rug 8'6" x 11'6"
$2,199.00 | Horchow
Havana Mono Floor Lamp
Bath Authority DreamLine Solo Frameless Sliding Shower Enclosure, Base and QWALL
Modern Bathroom
ELK Lighting Natural Rope 63014-4 Pendant - 26W in. - Aged Bronze - 63014-4
$782.00 | Hayneedle
Plein Air Folding Armchair - Set of 2 - Fermob
$874.00 | HORNE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™