? Re: Maintenance '05 Honda

sue_vaMarch 27, 2009

In November Â07 I bought a Honda Certified Â05 Honda Civic EX. Except for the required inspection sticker in October '08, I have not had any maintenance on it.

When I bought it, it had 35018 miles on it. I don't drive much. Mileage now is 36725.

I'm going to take it in for a check up, but I need to know what are the important things they should look at? I don't want to pay for something I don't need.

TIA

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonebloodyidle

A colleague of mine has a 1990 Civic. They just don't break unless you get at them with angle grinders and earth movers. Change the oil on time and you can't go wrong.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 8:35PM
thecarguy

You don't really need much at such low mileage... brake fluid might need replacing (every three years is the general rule of thumb, regarless of mileage), check your wiper blades, tires, brake pads, underneath the car for any leaks, etc.

The only actual engine maint. I'd say to have done would be the engine air filter, oil change, brake fluid and transmission fluid change if it's an automatic. DO NOT flush, only a simple drain and refill. Honda automatic transmissions are very particular. Only use Honda Z1 fluid. The owner's manual actually doesn't recommend a change until 120,000 miles I believe (this is the case with the 4-cylinder Accord), but Honda has had some major problems with their automatic transmissions for the last 10 years or so and although the newest units have had far less problems, I'm still not going to push the envelope. I recommened a transmission fluid change with Honda Z1 fluid every 30,000 miles.

Otherwise... just keep on rolling.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 11:49PM
sue_va

This Honda replaced my previous Honda Civic that I bought new and drove (for 21 years) until it got cranky, and I gave it away to my dependable Honda mechanic. He is no longer in the business and I will take this one to the Dealership where I bought it. I bought the first one there also, but a lot has changed over the years, and I just needed some advice.

Thanks!

Sue

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
1998 Dodge Caravan - Electrical Problems !?
Hi Folks, seems rather quite here, but I've got nothing...
vgkg
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™