Cabon Build-up in Engine

mister_hMarch 27, 2006

I'm suspecting some carbon build-up on top of pistons and inside the head. What's the best way to clean them without opening up the head?

Thanks for your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

There's a couple of things you can do.

1. Have a shop do a professional cleaning. They do this by injecting the cleaner fluid directly into the fuel log while the engine is running. (Assumes that the engine is equipped with fuel injectors.)

2. Use the type of injector/engine cleaner that goes into the gas tank. Run a couple of treated tankfuls through. Make sure that the cleaner is rated not to harm the catalytic convertor.

I have taken the head off an old engine (Dodge 3.3 L V6) after some cleaner had been run through, and its effects could be seen. The combustion chamber was not totally free of carbon, but a lot was gone directly under the spray pattern of the injectors, and there was no thick buildups.

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 11:06PM
john_g

Carbon build up is quite possible, what symptoms are you noticing to make you think your engine is having this trouble?

As far as cleaning it out, there are a number of different ways. GM Top Engine cleaner, which has been around for decades is one of the most popular. There is also induction services that are pretty amazing at how easy they are to do and good the results are. Then you have the old water injection trick that has worked for ever, but you have to be carefull not to have all of it delivered to only one or two cylinders due to intake manifold designs.

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 8:40AM
mister_h

Symptom:
Noticed abnormal engine knocking on old engine (didn't have this symptom and had been using same gas for the most of time).
Cleaner:
Is GM Top Engine cleaner only avail from GM dealer? Are there any other fuel-additives (to clean carbon build up) that I can buy from PepBoys or AutoZone? Would the cleaner work on carb engine?
Fuel:
Does certain brand gas or higher octane gas result in less carbon build up?
Thanks for your advice.

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 12:23PM
jsouth3

People tells me that seafoam works well,it sold at most autoparts.

Jerry

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Warning:Quaker State Oil Filters
Better check your filters really close. I used to simply...
andyf
want to purchase new Car
Hi guys .i want to purchase new car but I am confused..need...
Bill Payday
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
Sponsored Products
Adobe Santa Maria McKenzie Ottoman
Cost Plus World Market
Possini Euro Lilypad Etched Glass 17 3/4" Wide Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
Twiggy Teak Salad Servers
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Tech Lighting | 24V 300W Single-Feed Surface-Mounted Magnetic Transformer for TE
$457.60 | YLighting
Assorted Colors Vintage Glass Dimple Bottles
Classic Hostess
Deluxe Sleep Sound Therapy System
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Set of Two Battery Operated Window Candles
Grandin Road
CHIMO Rectangular Log Basket by Blomus
$220.49 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™