Wall light fixture a Code Req over sink?

TG284February 17, 2012

Thought this might apply more to bathroom than electrical, but apologize if I'm in the wrong spot..

I was planning to do small recessed gimbal lights over my new bathroom vanity. My electrician mentioned that the recessed lighting alone was not code and required a wall sconce or wall mounted light over this area... He mentioned he had learned of this not too long ago, is this common or accurate? If so, I know most commercial bathrooms do not comply to this.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lynne Reno

I never heard of that, you can put them over a shower if you use shower trim

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 5:21PM
mongoct

Could be a local restriction. I'd ask him for a reference. You can always call your local building department for clarification. Just tell them you're getting conflicting information and want to know the specific requirements for bathroom lighting, especially any restrictions around sinks. and also ask them for a reference. NEC (National Electric Code)? Local amendment to the NEC?

The only thing I'm restricted to is lighting in and around bathtubs and showers. Fairly standard stuff.

If your sink is next to the tub, it might fall under restriction for lighting within 3" of bathtubs. But that restriction is for cord-connected lights (table lamp for example), anything that's dangling or hanging, like pendant lights, track lights, chain or cable swagged lights, etc. The idea is if you are standing in the tub and slip, they don't want anything electrical nearby that you might instinctively reach out and grab a hold of. zzzzZZZZZZAP!

There are damp and wet requirements, but again, none of those pertain to sink lighting. At least not in my locale.

"Damp" is required over the bathtub or in the shower if water spray won't hit it. "Wet" is required if water spray will hit it.

I'd call your local building department. Get some return on your local tax dollars.

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 6:56PM
Jean Bo

Just my 2 cents but I put in 3" hollegens over my vanity, (3) 50 wattts, in an 8th high ceiling over a single sink 68" long vanity. There are 2 more lights in the room that come on with the same switch.
#1 causes monster shaddows
#2 really not enough light. It's ok for general lighting, only time I wish there were more is when doing face stuff.
I did put in sconces as well but they are also too tall for my short self to eliminate the ewww and eluminate the me! But the room looks great! ; )

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
Which latricrete products for full shower build?
I'm a bit confused about all the various Latricrete...
cataan
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Sponsored Products
Portobello Road One-Light Wall Sconce in Tortoised Bronze Finish
$630.00 | Bellacor
Tizio LED with Floor Support by Artemide
$1,065.00 | Lumens
Elk Lighting 570-4N-CR 4 Light Vanity in Satin Nickel & Creme Glass
Beyond Stores
Lucerne 63-inch Sheer Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Venezia 1-light Satin Nickel Mini Mosaic Glass Pendant
Overstock.com