Panty hose for fan belt.

Chemocurl zn5b/6a IndianaMarch 12, 2007

Someone recently said that panty hose can be used to rplace a broken belt. Knowing how hose stretch, how hot belts get, they would surely melt.

I'd appreciate thoughts on the matter.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: see the last item for everyday objects

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blue_fastback

That was asaying years ago for a tempory repair to get you down the road incase your fan belt broke. I never had to try it but I really dont think it would work.

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 4:11PM
jemdandy

It must have been a Ford Model T. I've heard of fellas using the belt from their pants to get home, but then, the Model-T used a flat belt.

Panty hose on a modern engine - probably not. If you are going to be motoring in locations remote from service, its a good idea to carry spare belts, even a good used one is better than nothing. But before you go motoring into the wilderness, check to see if you could change a belt if you had too. In some of todays cars, its a real challange to change a belt without a lift.

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 12:57AM
candy1965

Hey ding-dong. It would work if you used YOUR pantyhose.

======================================================================================================================
Posted by blue_fastback (My Page) on Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 16:11

That was asaying years ago for a tempory repair to get you down the road incase your fan belt broke. I never had to try it but I really dont think it would work.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 2:00AM
kalining

It does work if your only turning your water pump. My friend had to use one on a brake down on his kenworth. you can go only as far as your battery will last. Serpentine
pulleys? Maybe not. ( my friend doesn't swing both ways. He bought one at a 7- eleven and nursed his way to the nearest truck stop and shut her down. )

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
truck locked up tight
350 in 96 1500 locked up tight. Just driving down the...
timlynn
Warning:Quaker State Oil Filters
Better check your filters really close. I used to simply...
andyf
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
too much pressure in cooling system
I have a 95 sable that lost heat about a year ago....
anggi821
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Sponsored Products
'Pink Panties' Jar Candle
$13.99 | zulily
Corolle Les Cheries Paris Collection Chloe Au Palais Royal 13 in. Doll - Y7414
$42.98 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Lighting. St. Charles Collection Wall-Mount 2-Light Outdoor Copper Panti
Home Depot
'Big Girl Panties' Box Sign
$8.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™