Can you convert Downdraft cooktop to vented hood?

sanjuangirlFebruary 19, 2013

We are doing a kitchen renovation and have a GE Monogram 6 burner gas cooktop. It still works fine and is not in the budget to replace. We are remodeling the cabinets over it and I would LOVE a hood. Both for aesthetic reasons and function. Since we are already vented to the outside below the cooktop, can we add a hood vent and tie it into the existing vent? We are pulling down the backsplash so the wall could be opened to pipe into the existing vent. Could such a thing work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You might be able to do this, but it may not be a good idea.

The goal with exhausting rising cooking effluents is to move them out in a straight direction, with as little loss as possible and without bends -- or doubling back down and out the floor.

If the structure of your house allows this, its probably better to add the hood above that you want and route new duct either up (out the roof) or horizontally (out an outside wall). This will likely be more effective than the old downdraft (especially for stockpots or taller pots), which you can easily close or block up.

    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 3:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Or revise the lower ducting to be a key part of a make-up air system.


    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:09AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Buy 2 individual wall ovens or one 2 oven wall unit?
Hi - I'm looking for appliances for a house we will...
Capital Culinarian oven latch
My wife and I have a nearly new 36" self clean...
Need feedback on KOBE Range Hood
Hello! I'm looking at buying a KOBE range hood. The...
Does Wolf M-Series Double Oven come with Temperature Probe?
If yes, great. If not, does anyone know how much the...
I am about to purchase a dual –fuel, 30 “freestanding...
Sponsored Products
Built-In Countertop Induction Cooktop
All-Clad d5 Brushed Stainless Steel 14-piece Cookware Set
Tile Murals: The Tile Mural Store Building Materials Tuscan Bridge 17 in. x
Home Depot
Built-in/ Countertop 1300W Induction Cooktop
Orange Eclipse 10'' Pancake Pan
$24.99 | zulily
All-Clad 14- pc. Copper Core Cookware Set
Sunpentown SC-1201S 6 Cup Stainless Body Rice Cooker - SC-1201S
$57.99 | Hayneedle
Sunpentown SC-0800S 4 Cup Stainless Body Rice Cooker - SC-0800S
$49.98 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™