bulb sockets

joe_mnMarch 15, 2011

99 intrigue has 4157 bulbs for front turns/drl. both bulbs have overheating issues. melted plastic portion of bulb. bulb sockets look ok. i inspected both and adjusted tiny prongs. dealer wants $37 each. even napa with their generic sockets for brakelights are $60. use dielectric grease and hope for best? hate to buy new sockets and have same problem again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

Very likely, the sockets are not ok. Apparently, the electrical conection of the bulb base to socket has high resistance and is heating causing the plastic base of the lamp to melt.

Carefully examine the connectors in the socket again. Use a magnifier if needed. I suspect a patina has developed on the connector strips. Can you determine the material? It is plated steel and has the palting worn through? Is it brass but not shiny, but has a dull somewhat gray finish? If so, this is high resistance patina. It is bronze and has developed a patina?

Bronze and brasses can develop a high resistance patina and not appear corroded.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 2:12PM
joe_mn

who knew sockets cost so much? very hard to see contacts. i need magnifier and spotlight. the contact area is a blade and a small center prong that has a slight bulge. all 4 contacts seem identical while the brake light sockets i saw had different contacts on each end of bulb. but the generic socket is for 4157 bulbs so they must work.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 4:34PM
jemdandy

The little dimple you saw is a 'reliability' dimple. It tries to create high pressure on the contact spot.

Use a voltmeter to measure the voltage in the lamp socket to ground. First, look at the wiring diagram and detrmine which prong(s) will be hot with the lights turned on. And be careful that you do not short the connectors together with the meter probe. If you find there is no voltage, start tracing back until you find where you loose it. The problem cound be in the socket, somewhere in the wiring, or the lamp relay. Ons suspect location is the splice where the socket leads are spliced into the body harness.
Inspect all grounds assocatied with that circuit. You'll need a wiring diagram to find all of these. The worst problem to find is a broken wire inside its insulation. This circuit can be intermittent. On GM products, this occurs most often in circuits using aluminum wire, and/or solid wire instead of standed.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 1:10AM
More Discussions
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
Hey All
This Is Sophie.I Am New To This Forum.
sophie18
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™