Vanity between walls, gaps to the walls or butt against the walls

liveinseattleFebruary 1, 2013

I am finalize my master en suit layout, and agonizing over the vanity being placed between 2 walls. the distance between 2 walls is 65", maybe few inch more. I will have vanity cabinet custom made to fit this place. But I really cannot find good picture on the vanity between wall. they do not pleasing eyes no matter large vanity or small ones. I am think to leave some space to the wall, but how much? any one has vanity between walls with pictures? I need to find out soon since I am going to talk to custom cabinet maker to get quote. thank you in advance for your inputs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
qs777

Not sure if you watch Sarah's House, but she just did a master bath in a newly constructed home. The builder offered a vanity that touched the walls on both sides, but Sarah chose to shorten it slightly to make it look more like furniture and then added feet to it. I believe she mentioned shortening it about an inch or so on each side.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 5:15PM
palimpsest

If there is a gap International Residential Code requires 4 inches so you can reach in to clean or retrieve something if it falls there.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 5:28PM
may_flowers

Have you tried Houzz.com? I guarantee you'll find lots of vanities that will please your eyes. I would use the whole space so you get the most in drawer and counter space.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 5:52PM
hunzi

I'm planning a wall to wall vanity in my tiny powder room .

I only have less than 38 inches to work with, so I'm going with a built in look.

I do agree if I had 65 inches, I'd consider a gap on either side because I like the furniture look, but that limits you to 57 inches, so you have room to pick up that pesty eyeliner pencil that decides to roll off the edge. You have to decide if the extra counter space is more important.

Form vs Function

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:27PM
mountaineergirl

Don't do a gap! The vanity we have in our jack and Jill bath has like a 2"gap and its awful! You can't paint in there and it's possible but very difficult to fish something out from there. We did have wall paper and when we went to have it removed we couldn't get it all off! Short of removing the vanity, there was no good way to do it. Either get a custom vanity or have the walls studded where the vanity will touch the walls.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 11:29PM
djlandkpl

This is a 54 inch custom vanity between 2 walls. It's important to order the cabinet with extra long stiles on both sides, so they can be scribed to fit the wall. When it's done correctly, there is no gap between the wall and the cabinet.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 9:46AM
Gina_W

Another vote for no gap. Go wall-to-wall. Gaps create problems with water dripping down, items falling down. If you want a medicine can on one side the gap looks weird. Space is one thing but gaps are another. I put two furniture-style vanities in my previous home and did the gaps, but I wish I had not.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 1:16PM
pps7

We have 3 vanities between walls in our home- all with no gaps. Unless it is a furniture style vanity, I would do no gaps.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 1:57PM
liveinseattle

Thank you all for assure me that no gap is the way to go. Function is more impotent for me, cannot image me bending over pick up some thing between gaps . I definitely will check out Houzz for pictures. Love this site,

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Please can you help with bath vanity design issue?
My original bath layout has changed somewhat, due to...
happyallison
help choosing modern recessed lighting.
Oh my goodness this seems to be the hardest part of...
Edie Nicosia
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™