Battery or starter or neither?

NikeMarch 28, 2006

Hi. I have a Rav 4 2002 with it's original battery in it, and over the past month when I start my car it seems like there isn't the same amount of ooomph as before. Of course I ignored it figuring it was just me.

Now within the past couple of days after turning the key I hear a "deeer.......(PAUSE)..........." before the car starts up. It's like there's a slight start then LOTS of hesitation (as I'm still holding the key in position) then it starts up. Does this sound like I need a new battery or is it the starter or something else?

Help?!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary__

Battery, starter, solinoid, battey cable connections, or charging system trouble, are the common problems. Odds are it's the battery. If you want, remove and clean the connections at the battery. Reinstall making sure they're tight. Then turn on the headlights and observe what happens when you try to start it. If they go very dim or out when you try to start it after cleaning the connections, odds are it's the battery. If they remain bright, it's something else.

Another idea, a lot of places that sell batteries will test yours for free if you remove it. Some will test the battery and your charging system right in the car. The batteries at those places might be a few bucks more, but you don't have to get dirty or risk burning a hole in your clothes with battery acid either. jmo

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 8:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nike

Thanks for the advice! I will do that. I'm guessing it's the battery also. I'm having it checked out tomorrow. Your suggestions are good to know. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 2:41AM
More Discussions
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™