TIffany & Co piece - is this silver plated?

jennifer_in_kansasDecember 29, 2012

This is the back of a Faithful Service medal issued by my company years ago but is now for sale on eBay. I'm thinking of purchasing it as a gift for a retiring co-worker. It certainly needs some work so I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. If it's true sterling silver I think I can buff out the engraved name on the back and have it spruced up. If it's plated, I'm not sure I'm up for the cost of quality re-plating.

What are your thoughts?

Jennifer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

I wouldn't have thought they could (legally) mark it "sterling" if it was just plated, they would mark it "silver plated".
Is it the only exemplar of this medal available? I ask because there were a few for one company (don't know if it's yours) which were in better nick and at least one unengraved.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 1:56AM
antiquesilver

I'm not sure why you are questioning if it's sterling when it's clearly stamped as such. The 'm' indicates it was made between 1907 & 1938 (or possibly as late as 1947 depending on which reference book is used).

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 3:25AM
jennifer_in_kansas

I was (apparently mistakenly) under the impression sterling had to be marked .925 to be sterling silver through and through. I was also thrown by the terrible finish, thinking it may be silver plating worn off instead of tarnished.

I now realize I was getting Sterling Silver and Silver Plated mixed up. I think I've watched too many Antiques Roadshow segments were people think they have Sterling Silver only to be told it's really plated.

Colleenoz, I was able to find one similar piece without an engraved name but it was priced too high. I don't see them come up too often for sale at this price so I'll take a chance it can be brought back to life.

Antiquesilver, Thanks for the "m" dating information.

Thanks for your help.
Jennifer

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Antique Bell evaluation
Hi, I have this antique bell. Can anyone tell me what...
Shay Yakobi
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™