Oil in Spark Plug Hole

jemdandyMarch 29, 2006

1997 Saturn

1.8 L 4cy, dual cams, 4 valves/cylinder

90,000 miles

Oil is leaking into the no. 1 spark plug hole. (The other 3 are dry and clean.) Was checking the car over and found that the no. 1 spark plug hole was half full of engine oil. All the valve cover bolts were tight, and as far as I know, the valve cover has never been removed. (It's my wife's car.) What's your opinion - where is the leak and what is required to fix it?

I have an idea what I need to do, but would like to have the opinion of others who may have dealt with this problem.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geraldo17

replace the valve cover gasket and pcv valve.

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 4:52PM
gary__

I'm with geraldo. imo, there's an oil leak above that spark plug hole. Most likely the valve cover. I'm not a believer in the idea that oil can be pumped out of the cylinder and past the threads of a spark plug if that's what you're thinking. jmo

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 12:29PM
jemdandy

Thank you all for your replies. I fixed the leak today by installing a new gasket set. When I took the old gaskets off, I found that the one around No. 1 sparkplug well had hardened and deteriorated, but the other were serviceable. It also had a weep along the front edge where the cover seats against the head. It's not leaking now, but the car hasn't been driven long enough for a true test.

I found a possible contributor to this problem. When I tried to remove the oil filler cap, it was jammed. It had swelled to the point that to remove it required enough force to flex the valve cover a bit. Tomorrow, I'm getting a new filler cap. (Interesting what we find after the service contract runs out. This is my wife's car and her service contract expired this winter.)

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 3:03AM
earthworm

Be thankful the cover was not distorted and then not repairable due to people("mechanics") over tightening the screws..
One would think the oil filler cap gasket was replaceable; IMO, it should be.
They were on the old VW air cooled engines.And they were made from actual metal...

Nine years is a good life for a cam cover gasket..

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
rotor problems
I think I just got "taken for a ride" by...
jill1273
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™