88 chev silverado jolts when i accelerate

redcoonFebruary 23, 2009

1988 chev silverado 1500 2wd ex-cab 350 V8

month ago: add cleaner (marvel mystery oil sold @ walmart)

the following 2 tanks of gas the truck jolts everytime i step on the gas lightly and mildly similar to jolt-jolt-jolt-jolt--jolt

when it jolts it loses power

the jolts sound like CHunK

if i slam on the gas it doesn't seem to jolt

replaced fuel filter - no improvement

shop said "magnetic pickup coil" replaced that no good

every time i fill up its better (either doesn't do it at all or does it with a more mild jolt) till the gas runs low (1/3 tank) then it does it roughly again

No Check engine light

any ideas???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

Have any trouble codes been set?

I'm guessing fuel feed problem, but it could be ignition too, such as a plug wires with too much resistance.

Maybe you need to run the fuel tank down to 1/3 full where the problem gets bad, and then take it in for a diagnostics.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 12:57AM
john_g

As old as 88 Silverado is, its still pretty high tech. The first step is for a technician to address your trucks problem is to drive the vehicle and experience the symptom as you have described for (him/her)self, and then start testing from there. The last thing that you want to do is start guessing and throwing parts, and the next to the last thing is for me to write out a list of possible causes, which would be likely to cause you to start throwing parts (guessing). The seat of the pants feel that a seasoned technician has is one of the most valuable skills that they bring to work everyday. It takes decades to learn to a master technicians level, and the learning never ends, there is always something new to experience.

I'd advise schedule time for a tech to drive this and do some testing, then go from there.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 8:27AM
arkansas_girl

On my 92 truck, I've had this happen two different time with two different issues. First off it just needed a tune up(wire and distributor too). But then about 2 years later it start acting pretty much the same and it needed a new fuel pump. If you haven't replaced the fuel pump in it, the chevy truck is prone to needing new fuel pumps, so I was told. I also have a 96 tahoe and it needed a fuel pump as well...same symptoms pretty much although not as drastic jolts.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation
I'm looking at a 2014 Accord and wondering whether...
maryann0625
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
1998 Dodge Caravan - Electrical Problems !?
Hi Folks, seems rather quite here, but I've got nothing...
vgkg
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™