rosette knobs

whoocheyDecember 30, 2009

Does anyone know if dresser / chifferobe / chest of drawer knobs were ever made of real gold, particularly any shaped like 1.5" roses?



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I know that occasionally in very fine houses or on fine pieces of furniture some knobs were gold plated.
How about a picture?
Linda C

    Bookmark   December 30, 2009 at 10:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you for the response, Linda. I will try to get a photo. I can tell you this that the knobs come in two pieces. And I think the back plate is commonly called a 'bail', but not certain of that. I've polished one of these knobs and it does not appear to be plated; rather, it is a solid piece of metal and quite too hefty to be brass. I think I might take it to a jeweler's shop to check the metallurgy. The chest of drawers this is attached to has two doors that open into compartments. There is fancy hand cut scroll work on the doors. The drawers have bat shaped pulls that appear to be hammered.
Thanks, again.

    Bookmark   January 1, 2010 at 9:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you had to polish it it's not doesn't tarnish. that's why some fine furniture etc had gold plated knobs and doesn't tarnish.
Drawer pulls....that is knobs, often come with an escutcheon....that is the thing behind the knob to keep your hands from marring the furniture. Other types of pulls have a backplate and a handle....called a bail.
Brass furniture pulls may be cast and heavy or stamped metal and thin.
Brass is about $1000 an even if they were 12 Karat gold and they are 100 years old they would have cost something like $200 each just from the weight of the you think that's likely?
Brass is made of copper with a little zinc added for is hard and heavy....heavier than iron or steel.
Linda C

    Bookmark   January 1, 2010 at 10:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They could be gilt bronze (ormolu) Or they could be bronze, as you say they are very heavy for their size, now if you've polished them, it is quite likely you have polished off quite a bit of their value. You would find either of these types of hardware only on very high end pieces, they were expensive even then.

    Bookmark   January 1, 2010 at 2:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

But....if they were ormolu, there would be no need to polish them....very unlikely that anything meant to be handled would be ormolu as gilt wears very easily.

    Bookmark   January 1, 2010 at 3:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Actually the french used ormolu alot for handles on their furniture & while they may not need polishing, I have had them look very grubby, taken them off & cleaned them & they looked like new again.

    Bookmark   January 2, 2010 at 1:15PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
Help Identifying Cushman Furniture
I have a small Cushman cabinet, it appears that it...
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™