4 Cylinder Dakotas, Any Good?

andyfFebruary 13, 2006

I'm looking at an ad for a 2000 Dakota Sport with 5 speed and 4 cylinders with 58000 miles.

Are these motors the super charged ones, or are they the mouse powered varieties?. I'll need to haul cordwood and pull a trailer on occasion. I remember the old IH Scouts had a powerful low rpm high torque 4 cylinder with a piston top the size of a desert plate. Are these engines any good for this weight vehicle with power to spare or does it barely handle the GVW?. What's gas like on these ?

Thanks

Andy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toasted311

The one's my friends had were of the mouse variety. It was ok for a small fishing boat every now and again. I'd never use it to pull anything serious. The Dakota's also come with bigger V6 and a V8. I'd get one of those if you like the body style best.
Or the 4.3 S-10's are fairly descent for a small truck. Nissan's newer Frontier would be my pick though. 265 hp V6 and 6 speed manual. I test drove one for a night and it seemed very worthy..just would come off the price at the time...they'd just come out then.

Bookmark   February 14, 2006 at 5:16AM
bill_h

good for a boat anchor. if the body is straight drop a small block in it. better yet hit the auction, dakotas are a dime a dozen.

Bookmark   February 17, 2006 at 10:07PM
mister_h

I have a '01 Dakota Quadcab 4.7L V8 Sport, and I did test drive both 4-cyl and 6-cyl before I decided on a V8. DO NOT GET a 4-Cyl Dakota if you are planning to tow ANYTHING. You will be very disappointed. I certainly don't remember seeing a supercharged 4-cyl Dakota at the dealership. Did they ever make one like that? The 2.5L 4-cyl Dakota is for light hauling and commuting IMO. Isn't that the same wimpy 4-cyl on PT? I know PT has 2 versions of turbo 4-cyl though.
By the way, my 4.7L V8 Dakota has served me very well for the past 5 years, mostly towing 4000 lbs boat/trailer, w/o any trouble at all. For non-towing driving, I get unbelievable 18~20 mpg average after installing an aftermarket exhaust pipe. The only Recall they had on my model was the passanger seat belt anchor bolt.

Bookmark   February 22, 2006 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Area Rug: Chadwick Burgundy/Gold 2' x 7' 6"
$79.00 | Home Depot
Sonneman | Wands 1-Arm LED Wall Sconce
$250.00 | YLighting
Citron & Ivory Dakota Hand-Loomed Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Blue Sea Print Indoor/Outdoor Decorative Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
Brooke Bath Bar
Lightology