Glass mosaic tile thinner than wall tile

marys235February 14, 2013

I ordered some glass mosaic tile to use as an accent band in my shower and a backsplash on the vanity, it just came in yesterday, and I was surprised by how thin it is, much thinner than the tile I will be using with it. Is that normal? Should I tell my tile guy to put something behind it, so it will be flush with the rest of the tile? If so, what would be best to use? Is it going to hold up as well as a thicker tile? I guess I should have noticed how thin it was from the sample, but I just didn't pick up on it. I just liked the colors. Now I have buyer's remorse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ragno Samba mosaic tile

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StoneTech

Just cut a piece of 1x2" board about 12" long. Cut an "L" shape on the end that will ride over the thicker tile, which you put up first. Scoop in some thinset into the "band" area with a margin trowel and "adjust" or screed it with the board.

Let it dry. NOW, you have a slightly raised area upon which to tile the glass and it will be the same height as the field tile.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 9:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
qt314b

what my tile setter did was to use some of whatever the backerboard was 1/2 the thickness of the tile and set the border tile on the backer before he put it on the wall. then he installed the border already completed and it came to the same thickness of the wall tile

Good Luck
Rachel

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
help - can I recess surface mount medicine cabinets?
We have just realized that our previously ordered 5...
docellie
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
New Kohler Levity glass shower doors...
Has anyone installed these yet? It's a higher end look...
blondelle
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
Minimum size for walk-in shower?
What is the minimum recommended size for a walk in...
uscroy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™