Anybody using touchless faucets?

suzanne_slFebruary 9, 2014

We're looking at replacing the vanities, sinks, and faucets in both bathrooms, and I'm really interesting in sensor activated on/off. We've all been in public restrooms with sensor faucets where you end up waving your hands around until someone might think you were practicing to conduct the symphony. Don't even get me started on the paper towel dispensers! I don't want that kind. I want the kind where you stick your hands/toothbrush under the faucet, the water comes out, you remove your hands, and the water goes off. Simple in theory, but does anyone actually have one installed they are pleased with? I might like one with an easily accessible temp control like the Sloan, but it might be a long time hanging out under the faucet before the warm water arrived. Thoughts? Here are two models I've seen online that might be interesting.

A Sloan model that looks as if it has a large sensing area:

and an American Standard:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

We have these in one of my workplaces, and they don't work flawlessly.

The operatory sinks will sometimes not go on even if you are waving your hands like crazy. Then they will go on spontaneously at full blast when you aren't anywhere close. There is no manual override.

The toilets do not flush automatically all the time either. However, they do have a separate push button, luckily.
One restroom though, every single toilet or urinal would flush as you walked through the room: I used to skirt the wall trying to see if I could get by without it happening.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 4:40PM
enduring

In my house I'd have to wait a long time for the hot water to come. Do they have small tankless water heaters for these units? Then you could put one in below the sink and not have to wait for the hot water to clear the lines.

There is the Delta (I think) that has a tap on feature, then you tap to turn it off. But you still have to touch the faucet.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 6:31PM
suzanne_sl

And those are the ones I want to avoid! Surely somewhere there are home faucets that work as designed. Or maybe not, but you'd think with water savings and sanitary issues this would be a no-brainer. Anyone?

P.S. I may not get the image of the 5 toilet salute out of my head anytime soon :(

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 6:33PM
DreamingoftheUP

I can't imagine installing them in a home after having to deal with these frustrating things at the office (not those particular models, but the Sloan Optima). I don't see any reason why those particular models would work any better. At least the Sloan is light powered. What happens when the power fails with the American Standard model?

Modern, quality faucets are maintenance free for years. Why add a (expensive) complication like that?

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 6:37PM
mdln

I so dislike them at work and other public places, I'd never put them in my home.

Was recently at airport and power was out to that area - guess what, could not flush toilet or use sink. YUCK!!!

This post was edited by mdln on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 18:48

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 6:46PM
weedyacres

The problem I see with them is that the water temp is pre-set. So I want cold water to brush my teeth and hot water to wash my face, but I can only pick one-temp-fits-all.

You might consider putting one in the powder room, as all people do in there is wash their hands. But for bathrooms where sinks are used for multiple tasks, I'd stick with the manual, fully-adjustable ones.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 7:54PM
divotdiva

until the technology improves dramatically, I would go with a regular faucet. Whether electrical or battery-operated, sooner or later it's not going to work. The toilets usually have a manual button, I haven't seen them on faucets.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
robe hook in frameless shower glass?
Does anyone have experience with robe hooks in frameless...
nellie08
Vote Now on Color Plan 1, 2, or 3!
I have been planning the bathroom remodel for two years...
nancyinmich
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
Trying to Match.....
I am trying to match a set of Dornbracht Madison lav....
Patricia Kuehne
Sponsored Products
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Legend Series 59 in. x 66 in. Framed
Home Depot
Kohler 'Simplice' Pull-down Secondary Faucet
Overstock.com
Sterling Standard 660B-59S 59W x 65H in. Hammered Glass Bath Door - 660B-59S
$477.99 | Hayneedle
Gallery Wall-Mount Sink with Towel Bar
Signature Hardware
STERLING Shower Enclosures Vista Pivot II 31-1/4 in. x 65-1/2 in. Framed Pivot
Home Depot
Design House 514893 Drake 3-Light Chandelier - Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish - 514893
$161.99 | Hayneedle
Antique Brass Whitehaus WHKBCR3-9101 Deck Mount Bridge Kitchen Faucet
$679.00 | Blue Bath
Gretchen Wall-Mount Bathroom Sink
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™