Shower niche in load bearing wall

jagermeisterFebruary 1, 2012

I'm in the process of designing my shower and would like to have a wide ~30" shower niche. However, the wall that the niche is going into may be load bearing (running perpendicular and down the center of the overhead attic trusses). I want to go ahead and frame out the shower niche as if the wall is load bearing.

In addition, I'd also like to install some recessed medicine cabinets across the bathroom in a 2x6 wall that may or may not be load bearing. I believe it's 2x6 to fit the 3" vent stack for the toilet.

Can someone point me to tables/charts stating what size header I will need for the different scenarios? I'd be removing one stud for the niche and one for the medicine cabinet and the walls are second story interior walls beneath an attic.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

The size of the header is determined by the weight it carries. The manner of your roof framing and type will determine how much weight a load bearing wall will carry. It could be carrying roof weight, or it could merely be carrying the weight of the ceiling joists and drywall.

Tables are for experienced professionals who can judge those factors themselves. You need a structural engineer to determine them for you. A quick consult should not run you above $500 for a simple issue like that. It's worth it for your peace of mind.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Toilet seat height
The other thread here asking about whats new in bathroom...
numbersjunkie
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™