Can You Recommend A Good Shower Unit for a Small Space?

amck2February 17, 2013

We've created an above-garage guest suite at our lakehouse for our growing family. Now it's time to install a bathroom. The designated area is a small space with a sloped ceiling.

DH & SIL, experienced in DIY, will be doing the work. My job is to source and order the toilet, sink and shower. So far, I haven't found many smaller sized shower units that have received good ratings. Any ideas or suggestions?

Budget is a concern in this project. We're not looking for fancy bells & whistles, but we are willing to pay for quality components.

Please also chime in if you have suggestions for a toilet or pedestal sink.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

DIY a mud pan and tile. But double check the legal clearances that are required for bathrooms and living space in a sloped ceiling area. As well as the insulation requirements. It's a project that's often not doable without putting in dormers for the required head room.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 4:49PM
amck2

Thanks, hollysprings. I was drawn to the idea of a one-piece unit over tile in large part because of the ease of cleaning. No housekeeper here - just me!

If we were to go with tiled walls for the shower, is there a particular grout or method of sealing that you would recommend for easy cleaning. The last time I had tile in the bathroom was in our first apartment 36 yrs. ago. It was a nightmare to maintain.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 12:01PM
kmcg

I love my Kohler cast iron shower base. It's 48" on the side with threshold, and 36" deep. Maybe too big for your space, but it looks great and is easy to keep clean. Plus it feels more substantial than the acrylic shower units I've encountered.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Vanity color that my two girls won't destroy
I did try to search. Lol. We are redoing the main...
joygreenwald
Need help with master bath layout
Hello everyone I am designing my master bathroom. And...
adrituerk
Does anyone have a partial glass partition for their shower?
I've seen quite a few photos of new showers with just...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Shower screen
I am looking to change my bathroom from a separate...
timcar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™