Honda-light won't turn off, won't shift

ld14051February 25, 2011

I have a 2007 Honda Accord 6 cyl. I went to use it today and when I turned the key, absolutely nothing happened. Checking to be sure it was in park, I attempted to shift it to neutral and park again but it wouldn't shift. It is locked in park. I inserted the key into the override-as per owners manual-and it shifted but would not start. As the day got darker, I noticed that the dashboard is lit up with no key in it, ALL lights are off. I will say my son had been in the car last night trying to hook up his iPod with some adapter and it didn't work. Could he have blown a fuse? What could possibly have caused this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ld14051

It remains locked in park and only shifts with the override.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 7:48PM
jemdandy

Ask you son to undo whatever he did. He may have added a lead somewhere. If this is not practical, take him along to the repair shop had have him explain to the diagnostician exactly what he attempted.

Does your vehicle require you to depress the brake pedal before it will start or allow a shift out of park? Some do.

The fact that your dash is lighted when it should not be says something's really wrong.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 2:45AM
jemdandy

Is it possible that your anti-theft system have been triggered and needs to be reset? (I no nothing about the anti-theft in your model. Consult the owners manual, or better yet, a repair manual.)

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 2:53AM
joe_mn

lets assume battery is not dead. friend left lights on and drained battery. totally dead. could not shift car to neutral to push it back out of parking spot so we could jump it. so car will not crank? not sure of honda theft deterrent system. yes, have son retrace his tracks. what did he fiddle with?

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 12:30PM
ld14051

Hey, sorry for the delay. For the life of me I could not remember my password-so many of the dang things! And when I did I wasn't able to log on. It turn out the battery was totally dead. That's it. My son left the dome light on for over 18 hours. My husband hooked it up to a battery charger for a few hours and then took it out for a very long ride to recharge it and it has been fine. I still do not know how or why the dash stayed lit but car has been no trouble since the recharge.

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Radio antenna badly bent at car wash
I know this is going to sound really stupid but what...
africanboy
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Sponsored Products
Mullion and Glass Doors
CliqStudios Cabinets
River Belle Collection Chrome 17" Wide Bathroom Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Vistosi | Lacrima SP P Pendant Light
$630.00 | YLighting
Select Luxury Blue Reversible Vinyl 6-inch Medium Firm Twin-size Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Folsom Foggy Blue 8' Round
Home Depot