fiero question, can't find the part I need!

carcrazy02February 15, 2008

Hi! I have an 84 Pontiac Fiero. The other day I came home and turned the engine off and the radiator fan in the front stayed on. I disconnected the battery and have been searching for the part ever since. I think I need a relay, however, I can't find the part that is in my car at any auto parts store. I even went to the GM online and the part wasn't on their site! I looked for "radiator cooling fan relay", but maybe this one is called something else. When I unplug this part that is in the picture, the fan turns off, when I plug it in, the fan turns on... if the engine is running or not! Maybe it's called something else? Maybe it's just so old that I have to find it at a junk yard. I've checked Napa, Pep Boys, Advance, Autozone, and Central Auto Parts. None of them seem to have it!

This is a picture of what the one in my car looks like...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: This is the wrong part Advance tried to sell me (first one)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxyplx

Best bet is to go to a dealer and find the oldest partsman possible. He might remember it.

I bot a 84 Bonneville new. In 1994 I needed some small carburetor part that controlled the fast idle. I had the correct name as I had the shop manual. Well they changed the name over the years. Parts man took a flying lucky guess and came up with the right thing but had never "heard it called that before."

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 10:33PM
john_g

That piece in your hand, was every wire going to it black?

It looks like a grounding bar, or otherwise referred as a ground bus. Instead of making multiple splices, they use a "comb" inside of the bus and then connect as many grounds as they need to. I suspect the reason the fan turns off is because you are removing the ground to the control relay, or the fan ground itself.

Further diagnostics are required.......

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 7:49AM
john_g

Oh, and about that "old" comment...... VBG....

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 7:50AM
vallolet_prodigy_net_mx

if you find the fan relay let me know because i need one to thanks

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 9:04PM
atariborn

What does that harness connect to????

I have that same part just lying under my driver's side headlight. (disconnected)

I have searched everywhere for the end to plug it into, but to no avail. Also, my fan hasn't worked since I bought the car a few months ago.

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 12:50PM
timbulb

Fieros... a partsman's nightmare. Good luck. Your best bet may be to find a fiero club in your area.

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 8:03AM
fieroloco

you can buy this relay in acdelco (part number 15-8212)fan relay 2 stages.
if anyone can buy this relay for me letme know because i live in mexico and i cant get this relay.
thanks

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 6:08PM
mikie_gw

Perhaps look here...

Here is a link that might be useful: coolant fan switch

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
Hey All
This Is Sophie.I Am New To This Forum.
sophie18
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™