Wheel Balancing Beads

buckyFebruary 18, 2006

Has anyone on the list used this product to balance their tires and rims? I have a beautiful and costly set of wire wheels for my classic 66 T-Bird Convertible and have had problems keeping them balanced without using outside rim weights. These rim weights look terrible on chrome and discolor and corrode the edge of the rim over time. Would beads work better than balancing weights? Is this an economical solution to my problem? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_h

i have wondered about these beads also, if they work?? you might want to go with the stick on weights on the backside of the wheel where the dont show as much.

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 6:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

I grew up with a 64 mg midget ... had that car forever until someone offed me too much money for it.
As a teen I bought some tire ballancers from JC Whitney - slipped on before the wheel was bolted on, about the size of your typical larger brake disc but sheet metal thin with a tube around the outside edge full of some kind of shot and lube that supposedly always kept the wheel in balance.

Seemed to do the balance job ok on that cars little wire wheels. But do have the impression it was kind of hokey micky mouse technoligy. Regular spinn ballancing of any sort works.

You used to be able to get spoke wheels balanced with spoke weights ... kind of look like fishing split shots. Then you could add matching paint for touch up or they come in chrome too from the harley shops.

Bookmark   February 24, 2006 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
want to purchase new Car
Hi guys .i want to purchase new car but I am confused..need...
Bill Payday
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
Sponsored Products
Brown Fish Figure III
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
Two Norlina Square Wall Mirrors
$225.00 | Horchow
Minka Aston Court 35 1/2" High Candelabra Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Aston Court Drop Rod Pendant by Minka-Lavery
$119.90 | Lumens
Mario Industries Beaded Knob Lamp Finial B109A
$8.97 | Home Depot