pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank

twinklenoseFebruary 8, 2009

Hi!

Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly going on with my 2000 Hyundai Accent? This past week, on 4 separate occasions, the pump will only put in a couple cents' worth of gasoline, then keep stopping. It only started about a week ago, and the first time I thought it was a faulty pump, because my gauge inside clearly indicated it was down to half a tank.

But today this same thing happened for the 4th time--different pumps, different places (but same brand)

I've been buying gas from there always, so what's suddenly the deal??

I even tried removing the nozzle completely then reinserting it, no improvement.

Operating the nozzle manually didn't help, either.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

The automatic nozzle shut-off is sensing a pressure in the fill tube which is indicative of a full tank. An early shut-off can be triggered if the fuel is not flowing freely into the tank.
Angling the fuel nozzle into the fill pipe differently usually does the trick. i.e. Holding the handle up instead of letting it hang down, or rotate it a bit in the fill tube mouth. Also, make sure the compression cuff around the nozzle is fully in contact with the mouth of the fill tube, and compressed against it.

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 9:16PM
john_g

This is not an uncommon complaint. Air and fuel vapors in the tank have to escape to allow the fuel to go in. The normal path is through the carbon canister which traps the fuel vapors and allows the air to pass. Either the vent valve is stuck closed, the filter (if used) is dirty, the opening for the filter/vent valve is obstructed with debris such as an insect cocoon, or in some cases the canister itself has plugged up.

You will need a technician familiar with evaporative emission systems to test and find out whats wrong.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 8:24AM
twinklenose

Thank you both, so much, for responding.
My mechanic will check it this week to see if the vent is stopped up.
meanwhile, I'll just try to bear with it.
My son asked me yesterday if I was having 'issues' with the gas pump.:)
I'll say!!!

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 8:36AM
jasdip

Hi Twinklenose,
This is my first time posting here, as I frequent other GW forums more often. I have a 2002 Sonata and a year ago my car was doing the same thing.

It took quite a while for the mechanics to figure out what was wrong, but they eventually did. I can't think off-hand what the exact problem was. I love my Hyundai dealership, they worked at it till they got it right, and absorbed a lot of the costs.

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 9:57PM
hnord05_yahoo_com

I am going out on a limb here but I suspect that last post was from a less then suttle dealer or dealership employee! In my experience and opinoon the dealership is always the most exspensive!

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 11:01AM
diannaohio

2004 fx-35 Infiniti - Problem with filling gas tankâ¦.help!
For the last 15 - 20 fill ups, every .20 .75 cent pump stops, it takes me 20 minutes to get 4 - 7 gallons in. So frustrating, especially in cold, windy weather. I have 108,000 miles on it. Its been a great car up until now. What can be the problem? I've tried different gas pump and stations, its definitely my gas tank. Thank you for your answers.

Bookmark   November 19, 2014 at 7:39PM
bob_k

Read john g's Feb 9,09 post.

Bookmark   November 20, 2014 at 8:25AM
emma

I have a new Nissan Murrano that did that I had to keep starting over. It acted like it was full. When the dealer heard about my problem he said the valve inside the gas tank was faulty and they had to replace the gas tank. It was not a recall, there was another term for it. If an owner complained they were to replace the gas tank without charge. I have not had another problem like that since.

Bookmark   January 5, 2015 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation
I'm looking at a 2014 Accord and wondering whether...
maryann0625
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™