Low Oil Message

buckyFebruary 6, 2009

Hi guys! Been awhile since I posted. Since having the oil changed on my wifes 07 Malibu Maxx last week, the information screen has flashed a low oil level message. The idiot light on the dash has not come on at all. The oil level is fine. Any idea what could cause this to occur?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

I don't know how Chevy measures oil level. so everything here is a guess.

1. The idot light probably indicates low oil pressure. The oil level can be low and there still be good oil pressure except while negotiating turns.

2. Something wrong in the oil level sense system, maybe the sensor.

3. Maybe after startng the engine, there is a quart or more oil sitting under the valve covers - the oil is cold and is not draining back to the pan, possibly the drainways are partly plugged.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 7:24PM
johndeere

Is that with the v6 or the 4cyl?

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 8:53PM
bucky

Its the V6 engine. As the pressure and oil level are okay I'll follow-up on your sensor idea. Thanks a lot.

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 12:54PM
john_g

There is a sensor inside the oil pan that the PCM uses to detect the engine oil level. I looked briefly to see if I could find a service reference for it, because I seem to recall hearing about a potential issue where the sensor does not report the oil level correctly. I did not find any TSB's on the thing when I checked, but that does not mean that the sensor or wiring harness for it do not need attention.

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 1:23PM
bucky

Thanks for the heads up on this John D and John G. I'll have my mechanic check it out first thing.

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 6:22PM
bucky

Fellas: Problem was a bad oil level sensor in the oil pan. Had it replaced at the GM dealership under warranty. According to the GM Service Tech these sensors are pretty touchy and prone to failure. Thanks for the help on this John G and Jemdandy

Bucky

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 2:38PM
More Discussions
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
want to purchase new Car
Hi guys .i want to purchase new car but I am confused..need...
Bill Payday
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™