DIY Tinting?

theonecalledlFebruary 16, 2006

Anyone ever bought a DIY kit from this website or know of any reviews? http://www.diytint.com/

I have a little 1987 2dr Nissan Sunny that I'll have for only about 6 months left and I wanted to see how hard it would be to tint it myself.(I'm probably going to give my car away to a friend that'll be around for another year after I leave.)

Also, I'm not going to attempt to do the back of the car. Anyone know how much it would cost to have a professional put the tint in?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthworm

DIY as having a pro do this may exceed the car's value.This is ,IMO, a good vehicle on which to learn.

Bookmark   February 16, 2006 at 4:57PM
jemdandy

Check with your state and local codes about how much (dark) tinting is allowed. In many places, if the tint is too dark to permit a Law Officer to view the occupants, then its too dark.

Bookmark   February 16, 2006 at 7:50PM
toasted311

I tinted all the windows on all three of my trucks. As long as the windows were flat it was easy and both S-10's never peeled the entire 8 yrs and 4 yrs I owned them. Just got the Sierra, hasn't had time to peel. I could never do the curved glass right.
I know that they make a kit for curved glass that comes in strips which is supposed to make it easier.
Good luck with it.

Bookmark   February 17, 2006 at 2:47AM
pawprint1

All of my cars have been professionally done, and I watch how they do it each time.
I thought once it looked so easy I'd give it a try. WHAT a mess. I didn't have the experience, or proper materials for the job.
I talked to my window tinter and he said the stuff we buy in stores is hard to work with and crinkles. His professional tint is more pliable. He also has a very clean garage for this. (My trial had dust, dirt, hair etc. caught in-between the window and tint. As said above, windows with a curve are a nightmare.

What I have done successfully is tint all the windows of my home. The windows are obviously flat and give me more room to work. No tight areas either! I did an okay job. Still have the problem of dog hair floating in the air and ending up in-between the glass and tint! But you can't tell from the outside. Has saved my utility bills by cutting down on the hot sun entering the house.

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 9:24AM
toasted311

I also just found out the local tint shop near me uses a computer cutter to cut the tint to each vehicle. As a bonus they'll sell you the tint pre-cut for your car for $25 for the side windows(both) and 30 for the back on trucks and 40 for car rear windows.
Which pre-cut would make it alot easier. Never tired it that way but I know the cutting part is the hardest. But if you can hang wall paper or just have a steady hand and a sharp e-xacto knife you should be fine. I use a bondo squeege(sp?) to gently push the air bubbles and excess water/soap mixture out.

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
Sponsored Products
Eileen Shelf by BDI
$809.00 | Lumens
Leatherman Charge ALX Multitool - 097621
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Gramercy Park Two-Light Outdoor Wall Sconce in Aged Antique Gold Finish
$567.00 | Bellacor
Vintage Gyro Oil Rubbed Bronze 42-Inch Ceiling Fan