Is there a way?

njteaFebruary 3, 2007

I've got a 2004 Passat wagon. I live on north facing hillside with a steep, winding driveway. When we have a heavy snow, the driveway is plowed and I have no trouble with it, but with the pesky little 1-2" snowfalls of this winter, I am left to deal with driveway myself.

The car goes down the drive with no problem after a fresh snowfall, but I cannot get it back up until the drive has been liberally salted and sanded - which is very difficult for me to do.

I try to come up in drive with the ASR on and I don't get very far. Should I put the car in a lower gear and turn the ASR off? Or should I just plan to keep the car in the winter parking area at the foot of the hill until spring comes? :-(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wwest

Yes, absent a feathery touch on the accelerator pedal along with a good feel for avoiding wheel slippage getting the job done tire chains are the only likely solution.

Bookmark   February 3, 2007 at 4:04PM
mxyplx

Depends. Its a complex problem. If its an auto transmission and it downshifts you've had it. If you start up with an auto trans in too low a gear there's not enough speed and too much torque. You'll lose it.

If its a stick shift you can hit the hill fast then quickly upshift and mash your motor which gives you momentum and low torque.

If you've got a straight shot at the drive poop it up and hit the drive fast as you can and your momentum might get you all the way up along with constantly gently goosing the throttle lightly when the momentum starts to decrease. Takes practise. Helps to be born to it. That's w/o ASR. Never have drove that. Probly same technique tho.

If you have to turn at the bottom - park it.

Snowtires?

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 12:08AM
mxyplx

Not only that - it also depends on if its good snow or bad snow. If you can't tell the difference - park it. :-)

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
truck locked up tight
350 in 96 1500 locked up tight. Just driving down the...
timlynn
too much pressure in cooling system
I have a 95 sable that lost heat about a year ago....
anggi821
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Sponsored Products
Gilmour Adjustable Hand Reel Mower with Grass Catcher - 1240-3010
$159.99 | Hayneedle
Iron Jewelry Box Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Holey Bud Vase
$17.99 | Dot & Bo
Antique Pewter Pendant 3-Light
PLFixtures
Silkroad Exclusive 48-inch Crema Marfil Marble Top Single Sink Bathroom Vanity
Overstock.com