Easy replacement for an old bathroom ventilation fan?

mbgreenFebruary 16, 2014

I have an old Broan ventilation fan in my bathroom. I am not sure what model it is, but the outside metal cover is approximately 13 7/8 x 13 7/8 inches square (see picture). It is looking really dated and is pretty noisey, so I think it's time to be replaced. Before I start removing it and open this can of worms, I want to see if I can locate a new model that will make this project as simple as possible. I want to find something that is of similiar size with power and duct connections in similiar location of my existing unit, so I can avoid this simple upgrade turning into a electrical, duct, carpentary, and drywall project. If anyone has any advice, it would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

This post was edited by mbgreen on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 15:40

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

I think someone posted this site before. You can search for a fan with all your criteria, then see the grill size in all the fans that come up. Click on bathroom fan finder tab at the top.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fan finder

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 4:11PM
mbgreen

Thanks for the fan finder link. To use that site, I need to know the duct size I have. Might there be a standard size or will it be easy to tell once I start taking it apart?

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 10:20PM
Olychick

Maybe someone here who knows for sure will answer you, but I'd think you could just pull it out and see how large the duct is. Or maybe you could send your picture to the Broan folks (if you don't see a model # on it) and ask them what the likely duct size would be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broan customer service

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 2:29AM
mongoct

If you remove the cover assembly the model of the fan should be in the vent housing. You can then use that model number to research the original fan and figure everything out.

If you find no model number, just measure the size of the fan housing, or the size of the hole cut in the ceiling, and use that to find a comparable fan.

I'd venture it's a 4" duct.

For a replacement vent, you'll want to match the size of the vent housing that is recessed in the ceiling, and if you can't get one the same size, consider getting one that is slightly larger. You can easily enlarge the hole in the drywall ceiling but installing a smaller housing and then patching the drywall might be more difficult.

Most fans are "new work" fans, meaning the fan housing is secured to the ceiling joists before the drywall is installed. If you find a model number, go on the manufacturer's website and you can usually find a pdf with installation instructions. That might help you figure out how to remove the fan without destroying the drywall around it.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 10:15AM
mbgreen

Thank you all. I followed your advice and found the model number inside. It is Broan model 652. I posted this same question on the Broan website, and they suggested I call Technical Service Department at 800-637-1453. I will be doing that Monday, thanks again!

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 10:36PM
mbgreen

Ok, so I called Broan tech service department, shared my existing model, mentioned I needed something very similar, and they said QTR080L would be a suitable replacement. I could not find it in the big box stores, so forced to order it online. It arrives, I unbox it, remove the old one, and I notice existing unit has a 3 inch vent, whereas the one Broan recommended is 4 inch! I also find asbestos suspect insulation and aluminum wiring. Seems I will be staring at plastic covered hole in my ceiling for awhile. Someone on Broan's website asked if you can get an adapter to reduce to 3 inch, and Broan replied it was not recommened. Looks like I will be replacing the entire duct now or returning this and back to searching for something similar. Ugh.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Wall Mural (Photo Wallpaper, Photo Tile or Hire Artist?)
We have one wall in bath that's a hand-painted mural....
stevemac00
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
air /jacuzzi tub help. need to decide ASAP
http://www.costco.com/Access-Tubs-Venetian-Dual-System-Bathtub.product.100057666.html I...
matdrew
HELP! Is this an acylic or fiberglass tub?
Here's a photo of the side. Can anyone identify this...
wmcjhi
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™