Fast idling Ford Focus

looserFebruary 8, 2012

I just had the clutch, clutch master cylinder and brake master cylinder replaced in my 2005 Focus wagon.

When I picked up the car (from Ford) the idle was very high, starting at approx. 1800 rpm and then slowly going down to about 900. The Ford technicians told me that the computer was reset and had to relearn all the settings for idle. I have now driven about 180 miles and it doesn't seem to get any better.

Any idea what could be wrong?

I already have new spark plugs, had the throttle body cleaned, used fuel injection cleaner...to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

The idle is too high and the system has had plenty of chances to recalibrate itself. There could be a vacuum leak or they simply need to haul out the dealer's digital diagnostic tool and reset the idle speed.

The brake master cylinder was replaced. Did this also include the vacuum booster (power brake assist)? A vacuum leak is suspect. If there is a leak, the system may be adjusting the fuel mix to accomodate the extra air flow and the idle will be high. It tries to bring the idle speed down by reducing air flow through the Idle air control system (IACS), but if there is an air leak into the manifold, it will may not be able to control the speed to low enough value. It all depends on the size of the leak.

Take it back to the shop and tell them that it needs attention. If they again try to side step the issue, contact the zone manager or equivalent. If it was running normally before the repair work, use that information to further your case.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 4:50AM
More Discussions
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
too much pressure in cooling system
I have a 95 sable that lost heat about a year ago....
anggi821
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Sponsored Products
Corum Low Voltage LED Pendant (Freejack)
LBC Lighting
Lite Source Pharma Collection Black Adjustable Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Fairmont Designs 24" Lifestyle Collection Shaker Vanity - Dark Cherry
Modern Bathroom
Tilley Adjustable Height Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
Foscarini | Aplomb Floor Lamp
YLighting
CS016 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™